Want to eat fancy but wanna lose weight too? Bistek na talong is a low-calorie and budget-friendly version of the classic beef bistek. It is also a good source of nutrients which is best when you want to incorporate vegetables in your kid’s diet.
BISTEK NA TALONG RECIPE
Whenever I pass the karinderyas on the way home and I see an ulam with lots of onion rings on top, its 90% bistek. But so sorry to those karinderyas because my mom makes the best bistek in our place. Some people say that bistek is the misheard version of the beef steak. But when you come to think of it, it actually makes sense! Wow! Bistek is a traditional Filipino dish which usually uses beef and pork marinated in soy sauce and calamansi. Its most distinct feature are the onion rings garnish.
As an onion lover, bistek really hits my happy place with every bite. If bistek is served, I really make sure to hoard a lot of onion rings before the next person comes up. Aside from being a garnish which highlights the dish, the onions are what enhances the meaty goodness of the bistek and enhances the dish by adding color to it.
Since pork and beef are becoming expensive, we are continuously looking for ways to substitute the meat with a cheaper but healthier alternative. Eggplant has been used as a substitute to a lot of meat dishes, especially to the saucy ones. It is packed with a lot of nutrients and is good in absorbing flavors. It can also make any dish colourful, with the violet color from the eggplant’s skin, making the dish more appetizing.
For this recipe, the eggplant will be the highlight of the bistek. With just simple ingredients, be amazed on the transformation that will happen to the eggplant.
HOW TO MAKE BISTEK NA TALONG
Bistek na talong is prepared just like the classic bistek. The only difference is that the eggplant is prepared easier and faster than meat. And since the eggplant is so good in absorbing flavors, there is no need for marination. Start by preparing the eggplant and slicing into serving pieces. Keep the eggplant skin. The eggplant will be soft when cooked so it might crush during the cooking process if the skin is removed. Prepare the sauce base in a small bowl. Just mix the ingredients and you are good to go.
Bistek na Talong
½ kilo eggplant
¼ cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons calamansi juice
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
¼ cup water
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 large white onion (cut into rings)
oil for frying
- Wash the eggplant and cut both ends. Slice into serving pieces. Soak the chopped eggplant in water to prevent darkening.
- In a small bowl, add the soy sauce, calamansi juice, sugar, oyster sauce, black pepper and water. Mix the ingredients well and set aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry the eggplant pieces. Cook until light brown. Flip to cook the other side. Transfer the cooked eggplant to a strainer.
- In the same pan, saute some onion rings. Add the soy sauce mixture. Let it cook for a few seconds.
- When boiling, add the fried eggplant. Stir gently to coat the eggplant with the sauce. Let it simmer for 1 minute.
- Add some onion rings on top and let it simmer for another minute.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve with hot steaming rice. Enjoy!
Paano Magluto ng Bistek na Talong
- ½ kilo talong
- ¼ tasa ng toyo
- 3 kutsarang calamansi juice
- 1 kutsarang asukal
- 1 kutsarang oyster sauce
- ¼ tasa ng tubig
- ¼ kutsaritang paminta
- 1 malaking white onion (hiwain ng rings)
- mantika (pangprito)
- Linisin ang mga talong at alisin ang dalawang dulo nito. Hatiin sa serving pieces. Ibabad sa tubig ang hiniwang talong para hindi mangitim.
- Sa isang maliit na bowl, ilagay ang toyo, calamansi juice, asukal, oyster sauce, paminta at tubig. Haluin ang mga ito ng mabuti.
- Magpainit ng mantika sa kawali. Iprito ang mga talong hanggang maging light brown. Baliktarin ang mga ito para maluto ang kabilang side. Ilipat ang mga napritong talong sa isang strainer.
- Sa parehong kawali, mag gisa ng ilang onion rings. Ilagay ang ginawang mixture at hayaan itong maluto ng ilang segundo.
- Kapag kumukulo na, ilagay ang mga pinritong talong. Haluin ito ng dahan-dahan hanggang malagyan ng sauce ang bawat piraso ng talong. Hayaan itong maluto ng 1 minuto.
- Maglagay ng onion rings sa ibabaw ng bistek na talong at hayaan itong maluto ng isa pang minute.
- Ilipat ang bistek na talong sa isang serving plate at ihain kasama ang mainit na kanin. Enjoy!