Warm up with a healthy and hearty Beefy Tomato Soup. This soup is best for rainy and cold seasons. Days when you just need a warm pick-me up or savory companion for sick days. There are just days that you want to curl up, read a book, and fill yourself with a warm bowl of soup. A soup recipe you can do with very minimal effort.
What’s in a beefy tomato soup?
This easy fix is made of canned tomatoes, though 2 cups of freshly chopped tomatoes can do in a pinch, loaded with garlic, onions, seasonings such as paprika and cumin to give it a slight punch, a good amount of ground beef, kidney beans or ham, cooked till tender or it has changed in color, douse these with our key ingredient! Tomatoes, simmering for half an hour to help the flavors all mesh together. Pour in 2 cups of water and a beef broth cube for another 30 minutes. Once this is done, give yourself a generous helping of a nice comforting beefy tomato soup paired with rice or toasted bread.
Short History of the tomato Soup
It’s a funny story on how when the suggested ‘tomato dishes’ would be brought out, one would always think that it would probably be an Italian dish but in fact in the Colonial Times, folklore concerning the consumption of the tomato believed that it would poison your blood and turn it into acid; so most colonists used the tomato as decoration. Tomatoes we came to know today came from Peru. It was in South and Central America where tomatoes originated that started eating and using tomatoes as a source of food and was cultivated and slowly made their way to Mexico. Back then, there were even claims that tomato seeds as a source of aphrodisiac. In French, tomato seeds were called ‘pomme d’ amour’ of ‘apple of love’, but some claim that it was a misinterpretation of the Spanish ‘pome dei Moro” or ‘apple of the moors’. It’s unclear how the Spanish came across the tomato and now they bright it back to Europe, but it was in the mid 16thcentury that the tomatoes were mentioned in a Nepalese cookbook.
The fruit known as a vegetable tomato was named so from the Spanish word ‘tomate’ from the Aztec language ‘tomatl’. The first name appearing in print in 1595. There are a variety of tomatoes from green, red, yellow colors to cherry tomatoes. One of the reasons we might always pair ‘Italy’ with ‘tomatoes’ is because aside from South America, Italy was one of the first to fully embrace the tomato.
1897 was the year Joseph Campbell a soup mogul invented the condensed tomato soup. It set a standard for the company which enticed and endeared itself to the general public. While Campbell a famous soup company made the tomato soup popular the first recipe known was credited in the 1872 book “The Appleodre Cook Book” by Maria Parloa for her tomato chowder. Canned tomato soup became idea because of their high acidic content and thus became the most canned item than any other fruit or vegetable in the 19thcentury market.
Can I do this soup in 30 minutes or less?
As a quintessential comfort food in America, there was been a lot of ways to make this dish easier for convenience. You can cheat a little and use marinara sauce instead of adding tomatoes with garlic, onions and herbs. And since marina sauce is already well seasoned you can cut cook time in half or less and just make sure that the beef is well cooked.
Beefy Tomato SoupCourse: Soups
A warm comforting protein filled dish.
1 can tomatoes (whole or diced)*
1 can kidney beans (optional)
250g ground beef
1 tablespoon olive oil (or any oil)
1 cup onions
2 tablespoon garlic (chopped)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
2 cups water
1 beef cube
salt and pepper to taste
parsley to garnish
* Substitute with 2 cups freshly diced tomatoes
- Prepare chopped tomatoes or canned tomatoes and set these aside. Strain and clean the kidney beans till it void of the slimy texture.
- In a pot at medium heat, sauté with oil, onions, and garlic. Once the onions are translucent add garlic powder, cumin, paprika. Mix well.
- Add the ground beef, sautéing till these changes in color. Add the kidney beans and mix well. Add the canned tomatoes and cover this for 30 to 45 minutes, mixing often to avoid burning the bottom of the pot.
- Add water and beef cube, cover this for another 30 to 45 minutes. Mixing often. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve in a bowl, and garnish with parsley.
- Use diced tomatoes or blend tomatoes before adding this in the pot to have a smoother texture.
- Add pasta in the soup to have a fuller meal or top these on eggs and rice.
- Replace kidney beans with ham or spam to have a more savory tasting soup.
Beefy Tomato Soup Recipe (Tagalog)
- 1 lata ng kamatis (buo or diced)*
- 1 lata ng abitsuwela
- 250g giniling na baka
- 1 kutsarang olive oil (o kahit anong mantika)
- 1 tasa ng sibuyas
- 2 kutsarang bawang (tadtad)
- 1 kutsarang bawang powder
- 1 kutsaritang cumin
- 1 kutsaritang paprika
- 1 tasang tubig
- 1 beef cube
- asin at paminta ayon sa iyong panlasa
- Parsley pang dekorasyon
*Pagpalitin ang lata ng kamatis ng 2 tasa ng sariwang kamatis
- Maghanda ng tinadtad na kamatis o lata ng kamatis at itabi. Isala at linisin ng mabuti ang abitsuwela hangang mawala ang pagkalagkit nito.
- Sa isang kawala na may katamtamang init, igisa ang matika, sibuyas, at bawang. Pag malambot na ang sibuyas, dagdagan ng bawang powder, cumin, paprika and haluin ng mabuti.
- Idagdag ang giniling na baka, gisain hangang magiba ng kulay. Isama ang kidney beans at haluin. Idagdag ang kamatis at takpan ng 30 0 45 na minuto, hauin paminsan minsan para di masunog ang ilalim ng kawali.
- Lagyan ng tubic at beef cube. Takpan muli ng 30 o 45 minuto. Haluin ng paminsan minsan. Tikman at lagyan ng asin at paminta kung kinakailangan.
- Ilagay sa mangkok at dekorasyonan ng parsley.