Enjoy an Asian dish right out on your dinner table with this sweet and sour pork recipe. This dish is made up of crispy pork slices coated with a rich and hearty sweet and sour sauce with chunks of onions, bell peppers and pineapple. This Chinese sweet and sour pork dish is best enjoyed with a bowl of yang chow fried rice.
SWEET AND SOUR PORK
When you think of a “sweet and sour dish”, you’re probably thinking of that orange dish with big chunks of red onions, green bell peppers and pineapple tidbits. This sweet and sour recipe is another recipe we owe from the Chinese.
Sweet and sour pork is a Chinese stir-fry dish which is one of the most ordered dish on almost every Chinese restaurant. This dish is called “goo lou yok” in Cantonese dialect. It is made with juicy pieces of pork tenderloin, bell peppers, onion, and pineapple. The tender pork gets fried until crispy then tossed in a vibrant sauce that packs a balance of sweet and tart flavors. Sweet and sour can also be done on other meat counterparts like fish and chicken. Aside from personal consumption, it is also a best hit during buffets on special occasions.
HOW TO COOK SWEET AND SOUR PORK
The sauce is the major component which provides the overall flavor to the entire dish. The secret of an authentic sweet and sour sauce lies in the perfect balance of the sweet and sourness of the sauce. Prepare the sauce by mixing ketchup, vinegar, water, sugar and cornstarch in a bowl. Set this aside and prepare your pork. Cut the pork into small pieces. Around 1-inch cubes will work for even cooking. It is best to use pork cuts which has both lean and fat meat. Make a thin batter for the pork using eggs and cornstarch and then fry them until crispy.
The next step is sautéing the rest of the ingredients and adding the pre-made sweet and sour sauce. Make sure to add a gorgeous amount of pineapple tidbits as this will mimick the candied taste with a slight hint of acidity. Gently toss your crispy pork pieces in the sauce. You can opt to just drizzle the sauce right before serving to maintain the nice crispy crust of the pork. Arrange the sweet and sour pork in a serving plate in a way that it shows the different colors of the dish. Serve the sweet and sour pork in a bowl of hot and steaming yang chow rice and enjoy!
Sweet and Sour PorkCourse: Pork Recipes
½ kilo pork (cut into cubes)
1 medium-sized red onion
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
2 tablespoons ketchup
¼ cup pineapple tidbits
3 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup + 1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 egg yolk
salt and pepper to taste
- For the sauce, combine the ketchup, vinegar, water, sugar in a small bowl and stir well until the sugar dissolves. Add a tablespoon of cornstarch and mix well.
- Place the pork cubes in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Mix until well-combined.
- Coat the pork cubes in cornstarch one at a time.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Fry the pork cubes until crispy and golden brown. Remove them from the pan.
- Heat some oil in another pan. Sauté the garlic and the bell peppers for a minute. Add the pineapple tidbits and sauté for a few seconds. Add the sauce and sauté the ingredients together until the sauce thickens.
- Turn the heat off and add the fried pork cubes. Toss gently until well-coated with the sauce.
- Transfer the sweet and sour pork to a serving plate and serve with hot steaming rice. Enjoy!
Sweet and Sour Pork Recipe (TAGALOG)
- ½ kilo baboy (hiniwa ng cubes)
- 1 pulang sibuyas
- 2 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 kutsara ng ketchup
- ¼ tasa ng pineapple tidbits
- 3 kutsara ng suka
- 1 kutsara
- 2 kutsara ng asukal
- 1 tasa + 1 kutsara ng cornstarch
- 1 egg yolk
- asin at paminta
- Para sa sauce, paghaluhaluin ang ketchup, suka, tubig at asukal sa isang maliit na bowl. Haluin ng mabuti hanggang matunaw ang asukal. Maglagay ng isang kutsara ng cornstarch at haluin ng mabuti.
- Ilagay ang hiniwang baboy sa isang malaking bowl. Budbudran ng asin at paminta. Ilagay ang egg yolk at isang kutsara ng cornstarch. Haluin ng mabuti.
- I-coat ang baboy sa cornstarch.
- Magpainit ng mantika. Iprito ang baboy hanggang maging crispy at golden brown. Ilipat ang mga ito sa isang lalagyan.
- Magpainit ng isa pang kawali at lagyan ng mantika. Igisa ang bawang at ang bell pepper ng isang minuto. Sunod na ilagay ang pineapple tidbits at igisa. Ilagay ang sauce at haluin ng mabuti ang mga ingredients hanggang lumapot ang sauce.
- Patayin ang apoy at ilagay ang pritong baboy sa kawali. Dahan dahang haluin hanggang malagyan ng sauce ang bawat piraso ng baboy.
- Ilagay ang sweet and sour pork sa isang serving plate at ihain kasama ang mainit na kanin. Enjoy!