Take a sip of the pork sinigang soup and feel the warmth of love. This hot sour stew filled with tender cuts of pork and various vegetables is a heart and fulfilling dish to best start your day. Also best paired with hot rice.
THE PINOY OG SINIGANG
Sinigang was one of my favorites even as a child. This dish actually made me familiar with a lot of vegetables. This Pinoy classic was one among the first dishes I learned to prepare.
Sinigang got its name from the root word “sigang” which means “stew” in English. This simply described how this ish is made– by stewing.
Sinigang is usually made sour usually with tomatoes and sampalok. Other souring agents you can use are green mangoes, guava, watermelon and santol. Today, sinigang mixes made it easier to prepare our favorite sinigang.
PORK SINIGANG WITH GABI
Rainy morning always makes me want to prepare some hot savoury soup. If you don’t feel like drinking coffee or tea, soup can warm you just as much.
Pork sinigang with gabi has a dual purpose when I cook them for breakfast. It’s either enjoyed as a soup or an ulam for my tito who really likes rice in the morning.
Taro or gabi is a root vegetable with a starchy flesh. With its characteristics, it can be made into different dishes like ginataan, laing and many others.
A version of the classic pinoy sinigang is the sinigang with gabi. Unlike other sinigang versions, gabi is not the souring agent in this dish. Gabi or taro soften and melts a bit when cooked, resulting to a thicker soup. Featured in this dish is the sinigang sa gabi mix, especially that I used gabi in my sinigang.
If you want to know how to make this quick and easy sour stew, read the recipe below. Happy cooking!
HOW TO MAKE PORK SINIGANG WITH GABI
If you have a vegetable garden like me, breathe some fresh air and gather some of the vegetables you need. Prepare the ingredients into their desirable cuts.
Sinigang is actually a very easy dish to prepare. All you need to do is to boil the ingredients in the broth until they come together. But of course, there is a proper sequence of adding the ingredients in the broth so that all of them will be cooked just enough at the end of the cooking.
Sear the pork until browned and some oil has been rendered. Use this oil to saute the onions and tomatoes. Pour some rice water (or plain water) and add your gabi. When the pork is tender, add the string beans and labanos. These two takes longer time cooking so we add them first.
In this recipe, I added a packet of sinigang mix. You can totally substitute this with other natural flavorings like sampalok or kamyas. Add the eggplant and okra. Lastly, add the kangkong leaves and chilies. Kangkong leaves cooks fast while the chilies can make the dish really spicy if added earlier. Do a final taste test and check if all the ingredients are cooked and tender.
Grab a bowl and enjoy the pork sinigang as a soup or have it with some hot steaming rice. Truly warming during this rainy season!
Pork Sinigang with GabiCourse: Pork Recipes
500 grams pork (cut into serving pieces)
1 medium onion (chopped)
4 medium tomatoes (chopped)
5 to 6 cups rice water (or plain water)
2 to 3 pieces gabi (cut into wedges)
1 bunch string beans (cut)
1 large labanos (sliced)
1 packet Sinigang mix with Gabi
1 large eggplant (sliced)
5 to 6 piece okra
2 bunches of kangkong
Long green chilies
- Arrange the pork in a pan. Sear until light brown. Continue cooking until some oil is rendered from the fat.
- Make a hole at the center of the pan. Saute the onions for a few minutes and then saute with the pork. Add the tomatoes and saute for a few minutes.
- Pour the rice water (or plain water). Cover the pan and let it simmer for a few minutes until the pork is tender. Halfway of simmering, add the gabi wedges.
- When the pork is tender, add the string beans and the labanos. Stir and then cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add a packet of sinigang mix with gabi. Do a taste test and adjust the taste with fish sauce.
- Add the eggplant and okra. Stir until submerged in the soup. Cook for 1 to 2 more minutes. Add the kangkong leaves and green chilies. Stir gently to submerge them into the soup.
- Transfer the pork sinigang with gabi to a large serving bowl. Enjoy this as as soup or serve with hot rice. Yum!
Pork Sinigang with Gabi Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 500 grams baboy (hiniwa ng serving pieces)
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa)
- 4 kamatis (hiniwa)
- 5 – 6 tasa ng hugas bigas (o tubig)
- 2 – 3 piraso ng gabi (hiniwa ng wedges)
- 1 tali ng sitaw (hiniwa)
- 1 malaking labanos (hiniwa)
- 1 packet ng Sinigang mix with Gabi
- 1 malaking talong (hiniwa)
- 5 – 6 piraso ng okra
- 2 bugkos ng kangkong
- siling pansigang
- Ilagay ang baboy sa kawali. Lutuin ito hanggang maging light brown at lumabas ang mantika.
- Mag-gawa ng space sa gitna ng kawali. Igisa ang sibuyas ng ilang minuto. Ilagay ang mga kamatis at igisa nang sama-sama.
- Ilagay ang hugas bigas (o tubig). Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto hanggang lumambot ang baboy. Kalagitnaan ng pagkulo, ilagay ang gabi.
- Kapag malambot na ang baboy, ilagay ang sitaw at labanos. Haluin at lutuin ng 2 – 3 minuto.
- Ilagay ang sinigang mix with gabi. Tikman at lasahan ang sabaw gamit ang patis.
- Sunod na ilagay ang talong at okra. Lutuin ito ng 1 – 2 minuto saka ilagay ang kangkong at siling pansigang. Haluin para medyo lumubog ang mga gulay sa sabaw.
- Ilipat ang pork sinigang with gabi sa serving bowl. Higupin habang mainit o samahan ng mainit na kanin. Enjoy!