Enjoy good food, enjoy a good life! Pancit canton is a traditional Filipino noodle dish with known to have a variety of sti-fried ingredients like vegetables, seafood and meat. Celebrate with pancit canton on your next occasion!
Pancit canton is a stir-fried noodle dish made with wheat noodles and a mix of vegetables, meat and seafood. With the inclusion of a variety of ingredients, it very much bursting with different flavors and is always a big hit during celebrations and fiestas. Some of the ingredients include, cabbage, carrots, beans, bell peppers, shrimp, chicken, chicken liver, squidballs and kikiams. Sounds amazing, right? It is especially prepared during birthdays, and is believed to be connected with long life.
Sadly, a lot of people know pancit canton as the instant pre-packed noodles which are boiled for 3 minutes and then boom done. It is important to relive the classic preparation of the pancit canton to make out eating experience much more enjoyable and healthier.
HOW TO COOK PANCIT CANTON
Unlike what is assumed, the classic pancit canton is actually very simple to prepare. The ingredients added or the “lahok” is what makes the pancit canton special. In this recipe, we will use different type of meats, seafood and vegetables to make our noodles super flavorful and most especially, healthy.
First, prepare the shrimps. Remove the unnecessary parts but separate the heads. This will be used to make shrimp juice. For the shrimp juice, simply crush the shrimp heads in a bowl with some water. When the water changes color, that’s when you know that the shrimp flavor has infused. Set this juice aside and we will use it for later.
Now is the time to make our lahok. Don’t be intimidated with the long list of ingredients. Basically all you needed to do is to sauté and stir-fry them until you form a mix of guisadong meat, veggies and shrimp. YUMMY! When the lahok is done, set it aside as you prepare the noodles.
Make enough flavorful liquid by sautéing some aromatics, chicken broth cube, soy sauce and shrimp juice. Add the noodles gradually until all of them softens. Adding a slurry will make this flavorful liquid thick and will stick in the noodles. Now add the lahok and gently toss everything. Now you’re all set! Serve the pancit canton with calamansi and enjoy!
Pancit Canton RecipeCourse: Uncategorized
½ kilo pancit canton noodles
¼ sliced chicken
¼ kilo chicken liver
20 pcs shrimp
1 piece carrot (julienned)
1 piece red bell pepper (julienned)
¼ kilo napa cabbage
2 pcs onion (sliced)
15 pieces sitsaro
4 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 piece chicken broth cube
1 tablespoon cornstarch (for slurry)
30 grams sachet oyster sauce
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 pieces calamansi
fish sauce and pepper to taste
- Clean the shrimp pieces. Remove the head, shell and veins.
- For the shrimp juice, place the shrimp heads in a small bowl with water and crush them slightly.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Saute half of the onions and garlic for 30 seconds. Add the sliced chicken pieces and cook until it changes color. Add the chicken liver and cook until done. Add the shrimp and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the sitsaro, napa cabbage and carrots. Stir-fry the vegetables for a few seconds. Season with fish sauce and ground black pepper.
- Add the bell peppers and stir-fry for a minute.
- Turn the heat off and transfer the stir-fry meat, shrimp and veggie to a container and set aside.
- Heat some oil in the same pan. Saute the remaining onions and garlic for 30 seconds. Add some water and a piece of chicken broth cube. Stir well until the broth cube dissolves.
- Add the soy sauce and shrimp juice. Cover the pan and let it boil for a few minutes.
- Add the pancit canton noodles gradually. Gently toss the noodles in the liquid to soften. Season with fish sauce and pepper. Add some slurry in the liquid to thicken the sauce. Add the oyster sauce and gently toss the noodles.
- Add the stir-fried meat, shrimp and veggie. Gently toss the noodles until all the ingredients are well-combined.
- Transfer the pancit canton in a serving plate. Drizzle some squeezed calamansi before serving. Enjoy!
Pancit Canton Recipe (TAGALOG)
- ½ kilo pancit canton noodles
- ¼ manok (hiniwa)
- ¼ kilo atay ng manok
- 20 piraso ng hipon
- 1 carrot (hiniwa ng maliliit na strips)
- 1 red bell pepper (hiniwa ng maliliit na strips)
- ¼ kilo napa cabbage
- 2 sibuyas (hiniwa)
- 15 piraso ng sitsaro
- 4 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 piraso ng chicken broth cube
- 1 kutsara ng cornstarch (para sa slurry)
- 30 grams sachet ng oyster sauce
- 3 kutsara ng toyo
- 3 piraso ng calamansi
- patis at paminta
- Linisin ang mga hipon. Alisin ang ulo, balat at veins ng mga ito.
- Para sa shrimp juice, ilagay ang mga ulo ng hipon sa isang maliit na bowl na may tubig. Durugin ang mga ulo ng dahan dahan hanggang humalo sa tubig ang lasa.
- Magpainit ng mantika. Igisa ang kalahati ng sibuyas at bawang ng 30 segundo. Ilagay ang mga piraso ng manok at iluto hanggang mag-iba ang kulay. Ilagay ang atay ng manok at hipon at lutuin ng 30 segundo.
- Ilagay ang sitsaro, napa cabbage at carrots. Igisa ang mga ito ng ilang segundo. Budburan ng patis at paminta.
- Ilagay ang bell peppers at igisa ng ilang minuto.
- Patayin ang apoy at ilipat ang guisadong karne, hipon at gulay sa isang lalagyan.
- Magpainit ng mantika sa parehong kawali. Igisa ang mga natitirang sibuyas at bawang. Maglagay ng tubig at ng chicken broth cube. Haluin ito hanggang matunaw ang broth cube.
- Ilagay ang toyo at shrimp juice. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong kumulo ng ilang minuto.
- Ilagay ang pancit canton noodles ng paunti-unti. Dahan-dahang haluin ang noodles para lumambot. Budburan ng patis at paminta.
- Lagyan ng slurry ang sauce para lumapot. Ilagay ang oyster sauce at haluin ang noodles ng dahan-dahan.
- Ilagay ang guisadong karne, hipon at gulay. Dahan-dahang ihalo ang mga ito sa noodles.
- Ilipat ang pancit canton sa isang serving plate. Budburan ng kalamansi bago kainin. Enjoy!