Homemade tomato sauce is a deliciously perfect way to use fresh tomatoes you have in stock at home. Whip up an easy batch of pasta and meatballs with just a few scoops of your homemade tomato sauce, or use this to layer in on your lasagnas, make savory meals even more delicious by adding a touch of homemade tomato sauce. There are just numerous ways to use this delectable sauce from pasta of any kind, to soups cream or clear, to adding a good amount of sauce into a broth to liven up and enrich the flavors, and even using it as a pizza base. Homemade tomato sauce just has so many uses you wont regret making it!
Brief History on the Tomato Sauce
The “Tomato” was derived from the Aztec term “Xitomatl” and Italian “Pomodoro” colling from the word “Pomo d’oro” wehich meant ‘fruit of gold’. The name tomato came from the word ‘tomate’ from the 1835 French dictionary. It then became widespread and was translated to different languages, one of the many dishes and products made from the tomatoes is the Tomato sauce, also known as the ‘Neopolitan sauce or salsa di pomodoro in Italian, and Salsa roja in Spanish refers to tomato based sauces used as part of the dish or bases like in Mexican salsas, pizza, pasta dishes, bread fillings, and broths. Tomatoes have a natural sweet and sour taste that turns into an enhancer in dishes when added.
The tomato sauce has many uses, and also has many stories from where or when it was created. Some say it was originally used as a love remedy, as the sauce recipe was made in a ‘Summer night’ meaning ‘a night of love’ a young Marquis, d’Avalos was vexed by the constant refusals of a maid and picked some ‘pommes d’amour’ from the garden, crushed them, and mixed them with leftover onions and herbs fried with oil. Served it to the maid and tried to woo her but received a frying pad on this head. the maid rushed back to her room while he tried to rise back to his feet. Feeling desolate, he ate the leftovers and loved it so much he devoured it and ordered the chef to serve him the supposed love potion. Though one of the first to write abou the tomato sauce was a Franciscan friar, Bernardino de Sahagun from the Kingdom of Spain who later on moved to New Spain, mentioned this sauce, which was then offered and sold in Mexico City today. the first to add this recipe in a cookbook was Antonio Latini an Italian chef in his book entitled ‘Lo Scalco alla Moderna’ translated to ‘The Modern Stewart’. This was published in 1692 and 1694 with two volumes, while the first use to incorporate the tomato sauce into pasta appeared in 18790 in the Italian cookbook ‘L’Apicio mdemo’ by Francesco Leonardi a Roman chef.
There are tomato sauce varieties around the world. From the Mexican salsa de tomate rojo o jitomate which is used as a base for marinade and spicy sauces. The Italian variety of the tomato sauce ranges from a simple pasta al pomodoro, arrabbiata and puttanesca sauces, as a stand alone, or paired with clams, pancetta cubes, sausages, vegetables and tuna to create a lively looking pasta dish. In New Zealand, South Africa, and United Kingdom, the term tomato sauce is commonly used to describe a condiment similar to the America ketchup, while pasta sauce or Nepoletana sauce is used to describe tomato sauce. in any which way, the tomato sauce is a beloved flavoring used all over the word and in also any tomato based dish compared to their other counterparts like tomato paste and fresh tomatoes. A nice in between, try out this recipe yourself and enjoy all the ways you can do with this vibrant red sauce.
No one can deny that tomato sauce is the ideal sauce that turns simple dishes into a fanciful looking delicious meal with a hint of red hue.
Homemade Tomato SauceCourse: SaucesCuisine: Italian
Just heat up this pasta sauce and slather them in your choice of noodles to enjoy!
1 ½ kg fresh tomatoes
1 large white onion (diced)
½ teaspoon salt
½ tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon basil
- Clean the tomatoes.
- In a pot at medium heat, fill this with enough water to cover the tomatoes. Bring this to a boil and turn it off, carefully place the tomatoes in. soak these for 5 minutes.
- Drain, make a slit on top of the tomato and peel off the skin. Slice the tomatoes to pieces and remove the core. Set aside.
- In a pan at medium heat, add oil and sauté the onions. Add the tomatoes, mix and press these carefully to release the juices.
- While mixing, gradually mix in the salt. Add sugar depending on how much you prefer. Let this simmer for 20-25 minutes. Stirring this often. Turn the heat off and let this cool.
- Once cooled, transfer this into a mixing bowl. Add in oregano and basil; mix this using a hand or food blender. Blend to a cream consistency.
- Transfer this to a jar to preserve.
- The tomato sauce can last up till a week refrigerated, or frozen for 2 months.
Use the tomato sauce by diluting it with water or chicken, beef, or vegetable stock to turn it into a simple but flavorful pasta sauce, or cooking the pasta in tomato sauce and use the pasta’s starch to thicken it by itself, or adding it with some garlic and all purpose cream to get a creamy pasta dinner or a good ratio of milk, all purpose cream or cooking cream to make it into a nice homey tasting tomato soup. You can also thicken the tomato sauce up by itself adding more seasonings if you’d like and use it as a pizza base. This Homemade Tomato sauce perfectly adds that extra savory natural umami goodness to any dish!
Homemade Tomato Sauce recipe (tagalog)
- 1 ½ kg sariwang kamatis
- 1 malaking sibuyas na puti (tadtad)
- ½ kutsarang asin
- ½ kutsarang asukal
- ½ kutsaritang oregano
- ½ kutsaritang basil
- Linasin ang mga kamatis.
- Sa palayok na may katamtamang init, lagyan ng tubig at punuin hanggang matakpan ang mga kamatis. Ipakulo at patayin ang init, dahan dahan ilagya ang mga kamatis at iwanin ito ng 5 minuto.
- Salain at hiwaiin ng mababaw, hilain at tanggalin ang mga balat. Hatiin at tanggalin ang matigas na parte, itabi.
- Sa kawali na may katamtamang init, lagyan ng mantika at lutuin ang mga sibuyas. Isama ang kamatis at haluin habang pinipisa ang mga ito para lumabas ang katas.
- Habang hinahalo, onti-onting ilagay ang asin at asukal, depende sa iyong panlasa. Pakuluin ng 20-25 na minuto. Haluin paminsan minsan. Tanggalin sa init at palamigin.
- Paglumamig na, ilipat sa mangkok. Haluan ng oregano, basil at haluin gamit ng hand o food blender. Iblend ng pa krema ang kabuuan nito.
- Ilipat sa garapon para preserbahin.