Chinese Kikiam is a Chinese sausage made with pork chop, shrimp, chicken broth, carrot, all purpose flour, oyster sauce, soy sauce, spring onions, sugar, five spice, sesame oil, corn-starch, salt and pepper. These steamed bean curd rolls may be served as an appetizer or a side dish to your stir-fried dishes. This dish is made from a combination of shrimp and pork meat with a touch of different spices and flavours sealed in a soybean-based wrapper. Totally low in calories but bursting with different flavours!
When you hear the word “kikiam”, you may probably imagine the small, long brown snack sold together with the fishballs and kwek-kweks. Regular kikiams are commonly served as a streetfood snack. But this Chinese kikiam is a special type of kikiam adopted from the Chinese cuisine. It is more like the “fancy kikiam”. It is also called “bean curd rolls” since the wrapper called the taupe wrapper is made from soybeans. This wrapper makes it unique among other types of kikiam and even when compared to our classic lumpia. These rolls can be made in large batches since the filling is really so easy to make. Just freeze them and fry anytime you want. What are you waiting for? Try it now!
HOW TO MAKE CHINESE KIKIAM
If you have a food processor or a blender which can process meat, then this dish will be absolutely easy for you! For the filling, you just have to mix the ingredients and let the food processor transform it into a paste-like mixture. After the filling is done, you may start preparing each roll. Start with laying a piece of taupe wrapper in a flat surface and add some filling on one end. Roll it like you roll a classic lumpia. Make sure that the wrapper is sealed tightly so the filling would not come out during the cooking process later.
When the rolls are ready, steam the Chinese kikiam pieces in a steamer. I know some people who prefers steamed kikiam but I recommend you to also try frying it. Store the rest of the bean curd rolls and leave only the ones which are to be fried. Before frying the kikiam rolls, prepare the sauce first. To prepare the sauce, mix and boil the sauce ingredients until it thickens. Fry the kikiam rolls until the wrapper turns golden brown and crispy. Cut into serving pieces and dip with the sweet sauce. Yum!
CHINESE KIKIAM RECIPE
ThIS Chinese kikiam recipe will show you how to cook Chinese kikiam in home with easy and simple steps. Follow this recipe step by step and you will get the best chinese kikiam you ever eaten. You can watch the video to see how we cooked this recip in simple way.
Homemade Chinese KikiamCourse: Pork Recipes
7 to 8 pieces taupe wrapper
½ kilo pork chop
¼ kilo shrimp
1 ½ cup broth (chicken cube dissolved in water)
1 small carrot, grated
1 bunch of spring onions
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
8 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoon five-spice powder
2 tablespoons cornstarch (dissolved in 2 tablespoons of water)
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor, add the pork chops, shrimp, grated carrots, chopped spring onions, all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon oyster sauce, salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon five-spice powder, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and sesame oil. Process until it achieves paste-like texture.
- Transfer the mixture to a clean container and set aside.
- Lay a taupe wrapper in a flat surface. Brush the wrapper with some water. Arrange a generous amount of filling at one end of the wrapper. Roll it into a log-shape. Seal the wrapper by brushing with some cornstarch dissolved in water. Roll it again tightly. Repeat these steps until all the fillings are consumed.
- Arrange the kikiam pieces in a steamer and steam for 25 to 30 minutes.
- After steaming, transfer the kikiam pieces into a container. Chill or freeze until ready to fry.
- For the sauce, boil some broth. Season with 6 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 teaspoon five-spice powder, pepper, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon oyster sauce, slurry and sesame oil. Simmer until the sauce thickens. Transfer the sauce to a bowl.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Fry the kikiam pieces until the wrapper turns golden brown. Transfer to a strainer or paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Cut into serving pieces. Serve with the sweet sauce and enjoy!
Watch how to Make Homemade Chinese Kikiam
Homemade Chinese Kikiam Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 7 to 8 piraso ng taupe wrapper
- ½ kilo piraso ng baboy
- ¼ kilo hipon
- 1 ½ tasang broth (chicken cube na tinunaw sa tubig)
- 1 maliit na carrot, grated
- 1 bugkos ng spring onions
- 2 kutsarang harina
- 2 kutsarang oyster sauce
- 2 kutsarang toyo
- 8 kutsarang asukal na pula
- 2 kutsaritang five-spice powder
- Sesame oil
- 2 kutsarang cornstarch (tinunaw sa 2 kutsarang tubig)
- Asin at paminta
- Ilagay ang mga piraso ng baboy, hipon, carrots, spring onions, harina, 1 kutsarang toyo, 1 kutsarang oyster sauce, asin, paminta, 1 kutsarang five-spice powder, 2 kutsarang asukal na pula at sesame oil sa food processor. I-process ang mga ito hanggang maging paste ang lapot.
- Ilagay sa isang malinis na lalagyan ang mixture.
- Maglagay ng isang taupe wrapper sa flat surface. I-brush ito ng tubig. Maglagay ng filling sa isang end ng wrapper. I-roll ang wrapper hanggang maging pahaba. Isara ang wrapper gamit ang cornstarch na tinunaw sa tubig. I-roll ulit ito ng mahigpit. Ulitin ang mga steps na ito hanggang maubos ang filling.
- Iayos ang mga piraso ng kikiam sa isang steamer. I-steam ang mga ito ng 25 hanggang 30 minuto.
- Pagkatapos i-steam, ilagay ang mga piraso ng kikiam sa isang lalagyan. Ilagay ito sa ref hanggang sa ipprito na.
- Para sa sauce, magpakulo ng broth. Ilagay ang 6 kutsarang asukal na pula, 1 kutsaritang five-spice powder, paminta, 1 kutsarang toyo, 1 kutsarang oyster sauce, slurry at sesame oil. Pakuluan ito hanggang maging malapot ang sauce. Ilipat ito sa isang bowl.
- Magpainit ng mantika sa isang kawali. Iprito ang mga piraso ng kikiam hanggang maging golden brown ang kulay ng wrapper. Ilipat ang mga ito sa isang strainer o paper towel para tumulo ang sobrang mantika.
- Hiwain sa maliliit na piraso. I-serve kasama ang sweet sauce. Enjoy!