Sopas is a Filipino noodle soup made by cooking chicken breast pieces and elbow macroni in a creamy soup made by garlic, onion, ginger, salt, pepper, butter, white onion, hotdog, carrot, cabbage and chicken cube. This Creamy Chicken Sopas will warm you up during cold or rainy weather or will just make you feel better when you’re chick, or just relax your nerves when you come home after a whole day’s work. This milky soup recipe is loved by kids and adults alike, is easily versatile enough to change up the vegetables and add in your favourite ingredients like hotdogs, ham, celery and many more that you’d like.
What makes the Creamy Chicken Sopas the best rainy weather partner?
This inexpensive welcoming chicken soup recipe closely resembles the chicken noodle soup from America. This is because this soup was inspired during the American colonial period. The American Chicken noodle soup to the Chicken Sopas or ‘soup’ from the Spanish ‘sopa’. Is a widely common and popular chicken soup dish. The difference with the Americanized version is that the Filipino flavor, which has a tinge of fish sauce, and the common mix of vegetables. Relatively easy to make Sopas traditionally uses chicken as their meat, but many also use beef, and rarely some diced pork or sometimes turkey. Some even using processed meats like corn beef, hot dogs and others, simmered into the broth and are discarded and added back later on. Adding vegetables, milk or evaporated milk and other seasonings with the chosen meat back and some pasta. Eaten the same day to avoid any soggy pasta the next day.
Basically the Chicken Sopas recipe we have here is composed of chicken broth made of chicken breast simmered with water, aromatics like garlic, red onions, and ginger. Simmered till the chicken has cooked and the entire chicken flavor has been brought out to infuse with the broth, taking the scum out as well as it simmers. These are then strained to separate the broth and the chicken, to shred the chicken, shredding them with some forks or with your hands, shredding helps remove the hassle of cutting it as a whole and help suck up the cream broth later on. Getting them bite sized to make sure you have a chicken piece for every bite. Set these aside and prepare large pot. Melt butter, you can also use oil instead but butter just gives you that silky and indulgent texture oil doesn’t have. Sauté the garlic till aromatic and the onions are translucent. Add in some hotdogs to give the dish some color, though you can also use alternatives like ham, sausage, chorizo, luncheon meat and so on, or just totally remove this. Add some carrots as well as any other vegetables you’d like or veggies that needs to be used from the fridge like spinach, celery and the like. Add in the shredded chicken and the broth. Mix well to really combine all the flavors, then add the Knorr Chicken cube, this is optional but it does intensify the broth by a lot. Add some fish sauce for a bit of a tag and the rest of the broth and the elbow macaroni bringing this into a boil. Once simmering then add the cabbage, this is added last as it cooks easily and you wouldn’t want cabbage that’s been cooked to soft that it’s been broken down to bits ruining the sopas’ appearance. Add in the evaporated milk for that creamy sweetness, simmering only for a few minutes to avoid the milk from curdling. Just make sure the elbow macaroni is al dente or well cooked.
Expect a yummy, oh so tasty, rich and aromatic chicken sopas dish, loaded with tender chicken made with simmered vegetables, hotdogs, a deliciously infused aromatic broth, and pasta that will you wonders and lift your mood.
Creamy Chicken SopasCourse: Main, SoupsCuisine: Filipino
A creamy, flavor packed, chicken soup goodness
½ kilo chicken breast
5 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 large red onion (chopped)
2 sliced ginger
1 teaspoon iodized salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
5 cloves garlic (minced)
1 large white onion (minced)
1 large carrot (julienned)
½ cabbage (shredded)
1 Knorr chicken cube
200g shell pasta, or elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons fish sauce
- In a large pot, place the chicken breast in, red onions, ginger, garlic, and enough water to cover the chicken. Add salt and black pepper. Place this on a stove and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove any scums that come up.
- Strain and set aside the broth and chicken separately to be used for later.
- Shred the chicken meat using some forks and set it aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter, sauté the garlic and onions. Add hotdogs, carrots, and mix well. Add the shredded chicken and 2 cups of chicken broth.
- Mix in the Knorr cube and elbow macaroni. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of chicken broth, fish sauce, and cabbage. Mix well and let this simmer for a while till the macaroni has cooked.
- Taste and add more water, chicken broth or fish sauce if needed. Add in the evaporated milk stir for 3 minutes. Avoid exceeding the 3 minutes or else the milk might curdle.
- Transfer into a serving bowl and serve.
Be prepared for the rainy weather with this all time favorite milky chicken based soup. This one pot recipe only needs a few ingredients you can even change to suit your taste, a basic mix of chicken and chicken broth, garlic, onions, ginger, the richness from the butter, white onion, hotdog, carrot, cabbage, pasta, a generous sprinkle of seasonings like salt and pepper, and some tanginess from the fish sauce. and evaporated milk for a sweet and creamy take that makes the sopas its signature flavoring. Warm up your belly with a hearty bowl of Creamy Chicken Sopas.
Creamy Chicken Sopas recipe (tagalog)
- ½ kilo dibdib ng manok
- 5 butil ng bawang (tinadtad)
- 1 malaking pulang sibuyas (tinadtad)
- 2 hinati-hati na luya
- 1 kutsaritang asin
- ¼ kutsaritang paminta
- 25g matikilya
- 5 butil ng bawang (tindatad)
- 1 malaking puti na sibuyas (tinadtad)
- 1 malaking karot (hiniwa ng maninipis)
- ½ repolyo (hiniwa ng maninipis)
- 1 Knorr chicken cube
- 200g shell pasta, o elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons patis
- evaporated milk
- Sa malaking palayok, ilagay ang dibdib ng manok, sibuyas, luya, bawang at tubig hanggang matakpan ang mga manok. Idagdag ang asin at paminta. Ilagay ito sa kalan at pakuluin ng 30 minuto. Tanggalin ang mga dumi na lumabas.
- Salain at ihiwalay ang sabaw at manok. Gagamitin ang mga ito mamaya.
- Himayin ang manok gamit ang mga tinidor, itabi.
- Sa malaking palayok, tunawin ang mantikilya, lutuin ang bawang at sibuyas. Iahlo ang hotdogs, isama ang hinimay na manok at 2 tasa ng sabaw ng manok.
- Ihalo ang Knorr cube at elbow macaroni. Takpan at lutuin ng 3 minuto.
- Ibuhos ang 4 na tasa ng sabaw ng manok, haluin ang patis at repolyo. Pakuluin hanggang maluto ang macaroni,
- Tikman at lagyan ng tubig o sabaw ng manok, o patis kung kinakailangan. Ihalo ang evaporated milk at pakuluin ng 3 minuto. Wag isobra ang pag kulo dahil pwede kulutin ang gatas.
- Ilipat sa mangkok at ihanda.