Coca cola Chicken is juicy and scrumptious chicken, coated with sweet and sour gravy made with, coca cola, minced onion, garlic, bay leaves, pepper, soy sauce, ketchup and green onion. The savory sweet and flavorful chicken is best paired with rice of mashed potatoes. Serve a Coca Cola glazed chicken and impress everyone in the family gathering! Totoong sarap to the bones!
A QUICK COCA COLA HISTORY
Coca Cola or coke is definitely the real deal during the summer. Nothing can beat the heat like an ice cold coca cola drink! Coke has been a popular drink ever since we were born. It is one of the top soda drinks in the Philippines.
Coca cola will be the highlighted ingredient for this dish. The sweet beverage you know will give the caramel-y flavor of our whole chicken. But did you ever get curious how Coca Cola was made?
Coca Cola was originally made by a pharmacist from a chemical company. John S. Pemberton formulated a cure to some diseases. This cure is based on the cocaine from the coca leaf. (Now you understand where the name came from.) Dont panic as the Coca Cola you drink today has no cocaine. Since many people loved the taste of the tonic, it was then reformulated into a soda drink which is what you drink today.
Coca Cola has been a hit since the 1800s up to present. Aside from being a drink, it is now made and incorporated into other dishes like sauces, ice popsicles and many other. In this recipe, Coca cola will be used as the overall glaze of our whole chicken.
COCA-COLA WHOLE CHICKEN
Baked chicken is one of the most common dishes prepared for a family gathering. Serving whole chicken and the family sharing it somehow gives us the warm feeling of being with our family.
I have been preparing whole chicken for our family dinner for quite a time now. Whole chicken is really best to be served when you’re many in the family. Aside from trying different modes of cooking, I was thinking of glazing my chicken up. Glazed chicken gives the impression of being a 5-star restaurant chicken.
Sweet glazes are very popular for chicken. So why don’t we make use of the unique caramel flavor of our favorite Coca cola? This dish is perfect for kids especially that they want almost everything sweet. You can try using other soda except the citrus ones. But nothing can beat the unique flavor from Coca Cola. I usually don’t dry the sauce too much since the kids want some sauce to dip from.
If you want to upgrade your baked chicken into something with a sweet glaze, try this Whole Coca Cola chicken recipe!
HOW TO MAKE WHOLE COKE CHICKEN
Coca-cola Chicken is much easier to prepare than you imagine. This may take more than an hour to finish but the preprations are so simple.
First, prepare your chicken and remove the unnecessary parts. Sear the chicken first, as it helps develop more flavor and seal the juices inside the chicken. The chicken will render a little fat from the searing. Use this oil to saute the aromatics.
Prepare the sauce by pouring the Coca Cola over the chicken. Add the rest of the ingredients to improve the flavor or the liquid. In this recipe, I added green onion stalks for extra spice. You can also use lemongrass. After minutes of simmering, remove half of the sauce so the flavors can become more concentrated. Remember to baste the chicken so it will absorb much of the flavorful sauce. When cooking whole chicken, it is best to have a kitchen thermometer at home. Check the internal temperature of the chicken to know if it has been fully cooked.
When done, transfer the whole coca cola chicken to a serving platter. Best paired with hot steaming rice or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
Coca Cola Whole ChickenCourse: Chicken Recipes
1 kilo + 200 grams whole chicken
3 to 4 cups Coca Cola
1 medium onion (minced)
5 cloves of garlic (minced)
5 pieces dried bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup (or 3 tablespoons oyster sauce)
2 to 3 stalks green onions or lemongrass (optional)
- Prepare and wash the whole chicken. Cut the wing tip and the bottom part. Remove excess fat from the bottom of the chicken. Pat-dry the chicken using paper towels.
- Heat a pan and sear the chicken until the skin is brown. Once browned, set aside.
- Using the oil from the chicken skin, saute the onions and garlic for a few minutes until brown and aromatic.
- Put the seared chicken back to the pan. Pour 3 to 4 cups Coca Cola and add the ground black pepper, whole peppercorns, bay leaves into the liquid. Season with salt. Add some green onion stalks or lemongrass (optional).
- Stir the sauce a bit. Baste the sauce over the whole chicken. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 20 minutes using low medium heat.
- After 20 minutes, flip the chicken to cook the other side. Cover the pan and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Remove half of the sauce. Do a taste test and add the soy sauce and ketchup (or oyster sauce). Mix the sauce well. Baste the sauce over the chicken.
- Cover the pan and let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes using low heat until the sauce is reduced. Baste the chicken with the sauce from time to time.
- Transfer the Coca Cola Chicken to a serving plate. Serve with a bowl of hot steaming rice. Enjoy!
Paano Magluto Coca Cola Chicken (TAGALOG)
- 1 kilo + 200 grams buong manok
- 3 – 4 tasa ng Coke
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 5 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 5 piraso ng tuyong bay leaves
- 1/2 kutsarita ng durog na paminta
- 1 kutsara ng buong paminta
- 1 kutsara ng toyo
- 1/4 tasa ng ketchup (o 3 kutsara ng oyster sauce)
- 2 – 3 tangkay ng green onions o lemongrass (optional)
- Ihanda at hugasan ang manok. Alisin ang dulo ng pakpak at ang pwet ng manok. Alisin rin ang mga sobrang taba taba. Tuyuin ang manok gamit ang paper towels.
- Painitin ang kawali at iprito ang manok hanggang maging brown ang balat nito. Isantabi.
- Gamit ang mantika na lumabas sa manok, igisa ang bawang at sibuyas ng ilang minuto.
- Ibalik ang manok sa kawali. Ilagay ang Coke, durog at buong paminta, at bay leaves. Budburan ng konting asin. Maglagay ng tangkay ng green onions o lemongrass (optional).
- Haluin ang sauce at ibuhos sa manok. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto ng 20 minuto gamit ang mababang katamtamang apoy.
- Pagkatapos ng 20 minuto, baliktarin ang manok para maluto ang kabilang side. Takpan ang kawali at lutuin pa ito ng 20 minuto.
- Alisin ang kalahati ng sauce. Tikman ang natirang sauce at lagyan ng toyo at ketchup (o oyster saucec). Haluin ang sauce at ibuhos ito sa manok.
- Takpan ang kawali at hayaan pa itong maluto ng 10 – 15 minuto gamit ang mababang apoy hanggang umonti ang sauce. Ibuhos paminsan minsan ang sauce sa manok.
- Ilipat ang Coca Cola Chicken sa serving plate. Ihain ito kasama ng mainit ng kanin. Enjoy!