Have some melt-in-your-mouth ulam sarap with this braised pork recipe! Braised pork are super duper tender pork cuts simmered in a sweet blend or marinade made with the umami oyster sauce, soy sauce, calamansi and garlic, made specially sweet by Coca Cola. This quick recipe is super easy and hassle-free. Try to make one today!
WHAT IS BRAISING?
We usually encounter frying, boiling, baking and grilling among the cooking methods in the kitchen. Braising might be new to some so I added a quick subtopic on this. Braising will be the cooking method used for the featured recipe in this blog.
Among the different cooking methods, braising is one of the easiest. By definition, braising is defined as combination of cooking the food in dry heat and then in moist heat. Both meat and veggies are braised in some dishes. They are first browned under a high temperature and then simmered in a small amount of liquid until it becomes tender.
For meats, the initial browning caramelizes the outer layer which add flavor to the liquid to be added later. Braising can tenderize the meat more and dissolves some of the collagen, giving the liquid a thicker consistency for a richer sauce.
Braising can be done slow or fast. The initial browning is done in an open pan but the braising in liquid must be done is a closed-vessel. You can do this in the home by simply covering the pan or using a pressure cooker.
I usually cook braised pork as a baon everytime I go hiking with my family. I marinate the meat overnight and then wake up early in the morning to have it started cooking. With the bite-sized pork cuts, this makes a good rice topper especially to occassions like this where we should not bring too much stuff. All we need to bring is a large rice cooker, some disposable rice cups, the tupperware with the braised pork and a water jug. The flavors in it are flavorful but not scary enough to cause diarrhea or something.
Braised pork is a super simple dish I like making when I have less energy to work in the kitchen. This dish is very suitable for working moms who wants to serve a lovely dish but with effortless cooking.
What I love about this braised pork recipe is that it quite resembles the taste of a barbecue. If you look at some of its ingredients, the ketchup, oyster sauce, soy sauce and Coke/sugar are all ingredients of a basic barbecue sauce. If I were to really compare, braised pork is much healthier as it is not grilled and it’s a big plus points that it super hassle-free to prepare. After cooking, braised pork is truly melt-in-your-mouth sarap.
If you want to know how I make my braised pork, simple read and follow the recipe below. Have fun cooking!
HOW TO MAKE BRAISED PORK IN KETCHUP AND COKE
Braising some lovely pork for your family lunch is surely quick and simple. The only two things you need to do is to marinate and then braise. Super easy, right?
Simply marinate the pork in a concotion of the top Filipino comfort tastes from ketchup soy sauce, oyster sauce, calamansi, garlic and of course, nothing can beat the caramel sweetness from the Coca Cola.
Braise the pork in its marinade until the sauce is tender. Most of the time I don’t add water since the marinade is enough to soften the pork.
This dish will take around less than an hour to be done. Cooking will be faster and pork will be more tender if you will braise using a pressure cooker.
Once the pork is tender, the braised pork is done and is ready to serve. Grab a big bowl of hot steaming rice and top it with some melt in your mouth braised pork!
Braised Pork with Coca ColaCourse: Pork Recipes
3/4 kilo pork (cut into serving size)
1/4 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 cup Coca Cola
2 tablespoons butter
5 cloves of garlic (minced)
3 tablespoons calamansi juice
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Arrange the pork cuts in a large bowl. Add the ketchup, soy sauce, oyster sauce, calamansi juice, garlic, black pepper and Coca Cola. Mix well. Let it marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Place the marinated pork in a pan (including the marinade). Add small cubes of butter. Cover the pan and let it cook using medium low heat until the pork is tender.
- Stir the pork from time to time. Turn the heat into low medium heat and cook until the pork is tender and the sauce reduced.
- After around 40 minutes, the braised pork is completely tender. Transfer the dish to a serving platter. Serve with a lot of hot steaming rice. Enjoy!
Braised Pork with Coca Cola Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 3/4 kilo ng baboy (hiniwa sa serving pieces)
- 1/4 tasa ng ketchup
- 3 kutsara ng toyo
- 2 kutsara ng oyster sauce
- 1 tasa ng Coca Cola
- 2 kutsara ng mantikilya
- 5 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 3 kutsara ng calamansi juice
- 1/2 kutsarita ng durog na paminta
- Ilagay ang baboy sa malaking bowl. Sunod na ilagay ang ketchup, toyo, oyster sauce, calamansi juice, bawang, paminta at Coke. Haluin ng mabuti. I-marinate ito ng 4 oras.
- Ilagay ang marinated pork sa kawali (kasama ang marinade). Hiwain ang butter ng cubes at ilagay sa ibabaw ng baboy. Takpan ang kawali at lutuin ito gamit ang katamtamang mababang apoy hanggang lumambot ang baboy.
- Haluin ang baboy paminsan-minsan. Ibaba ang apoy sa mababang katamtamang apoy at lutuin hanggang lumambot ang baboy at maiga ng konti ang sabaw.
- Pagkatapos ng 40 minuto, malambot na ang baboy. Ilipat ang braised pork sa serving platter at ihain kasama ng mainit na kanin. Yum!