If we’re talking about luscious Filipino treats that is puple in color, no doubt most people will likely picture Ube in their minds. Adding mashed puple yam to your cake is not something to you’d like to miss. It is definitely a must try!
Ube Cake ala Red Ribbon
Ube, or puple yams, is incorporated with a lot of all possible flavor-infused food in the Philippines, and I’m not lying as I say it. From ice creams, to pandesal or breads, to ordinary plain sweetened ube, up to even cakes, ube is not the flavor to be missing among Filipino treats selection. That is why it became very traditional!
Honestly, I am not a huge fan of this flavor. But I tell you this, I get so weak when it is prepared with the proper combination of ingredients and succumb to eating more than intended. The recipe of my grandma never fails to counter my hate of this purple yam. It’s so tasteful but not in an overpowering manner. I never felt the “fed up” sensation with just a few bites.
Aside from my grandma’s ube, the recipe of red ribbon ube cake surpasses my high standards in terms of the quality taste. Since I am not into the flavor elsewhere, I become super choosy to order ube desserts which causes me to learn the high quality recipe myself. Today, I will be sharing to you what I have learnt.
How to make Ube Cake ala Red Ribbon
As I had researched all the possibilities to make an excellent copy of the ube cake from Red Ribbon, I realized that it is not that quite hard to make. Also, the ingredients are very affordable and convenient.
The procedure of making the best ube cake is divided into accomplishing three parts of the cake: (1) meringue, (2) batter, and (3) frostings. To make the meringue is typically just the whisking of egg whites, cream of tartar, and cup of sugar until stiff peak forms.
For the batter, be careful with the proper measurements of each ingredient so you can arrive with the perfect copy of the ube cake by the famous pastry shop in the Phillipines, Goldilocks. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, a bit of salt, egg yolks, oil, milk, ube flavoring and the most special ingredient of all, pure ube halaya. Give it a good mix then it’s time to bake.
As for the frostings, make sure to get the high quality products you can find even if they’re just simple ingredients such as purpose cream, sugar, creamcheese, and vanilla essence. The frosting is responsible for perfectly complementing with the ube batter’s overall taste.
Ube Cake Recipe
This easy ube cake recipe will guide you step by step to make ube cake or purple yam cake. Ube cake is one of the popular filipino birthday cake and this purple filipino cake comes with ingredients and procedure to make ube cake ala red ribbon. Try the below recipe and enjoy your day
Ube Cake ala Red RibbonCourse: Cake Recipes
- For cake meringue:
4 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup sugar
- For cake batter
1 cup and 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/3 cup milk (any liquid milk)
2 tablespoon ube flavoring
1/4 cup ube halaya
- For frosting
2 cups all purpose cream
3/4 cup white sugar
1 cup cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- In a big bowl, start whisking the egg whites and cream of tartar until it stiff peaks form. Slowly put the sugar portion at a time into the mixture.
- On a separate bowl, start sifting all purpose flour and baking powder. Then, add the measured portion of salt and white sugar. Mix well and set aside.
- On making the batter, mix the egg yolks, milk, ube flavoring, and ube halaya into another container then stir well. Now, add the dry mixture portion at a time while mixing until it becomes smooth. After that, put the egg whites mixture portion at a time. Scrape the sides of the bowl to properly incorporate the mixture.
- In a 6×6 pan with parchment paper, place each half of the ube cake mixture for each pan. Do not forget to give it a good tap to remove air bubbles.
- Bake it at 340°F or 170 °C preheated oven for 28-35 mins. Place on a baking rack and gently remove the cake from the pan. Make sure to remove the parchment paper as you wait for it to cool down.
- For the frosting, prepare to mix the cream cheese, white sugar, and vanilla. Beat until you achieve the smooth texture. Add all purpose cream in between every whisk.
- On assembling the cake, cut it into half then put one of the four halfs into a blender or grinder. Grind some for decoration of the outer covering later. Layer each of the cake with enough frosting. Cover the entire cake with the remains and the extra frostings can be put into a piping bag. Start customizing you Ube Cake ala Red Ribbon. Enjoy!