Spicy Garlic Shrimp is scrumptious shrimp dish that is popular in southeast Asia and Philippines. Shrimp is cooked with butter fried minced garlic, tomato paste, chilies, lemon soda, paprika and pepper powder. The combination of the creamy butter and tangy garlic highlighted with the intensified with spice all coating your favorite seafood–the shrimp. Truly addicting! This is the sign to make some today. Yum!
WHAT ARE SHRIMPS?
Shrimps are seafood with a gray elongated body which are reproduced for food. They can be grown both in fresh and saltwater. Shrimps are the ones harvested from salt water while prawn are the ones found in fresh water.
Among the shellfish in the market, shrimps are probably my favorite. Although they are a bit pricey compare to others, they are very easy to prepare and cooks fast. Best for quick snacks and appetizers.
These small creatures might look easy on you but they can be used in a wide range of dishes like sinigang na hipon, ginataang hipon, shrimp curry and many more. Aside from being an ulam, they can also be prepared as an appetizer and finger foods.
SPICY GARLIC SHRIMP
One of the most famous shrimp dish is the garlic butter shrimp also known as Creamy Garlic Shrimp. The buttery flavor and the tanginess of the roasted garlic compliments the shrimp so well that it makes it alive. What makes it more exciting is when we make it spicy!
This is a chines dish and also known as Chinese garlic shrimp. You can have garlic shrimp with rice and it is well popular combination in south east Asia.
I have made a blog and a cooking recipe on the garlic butter shrimp. But of course, I’m gonna make this special one for the spicy lovers out there!
If you want to try this spicy version of the garlic butter shrimp, read and follow the recipe below..
HOW TO PROPERLY PREPARE A SHRIMP
Since we will be dealing with shrimp, here’s a quick list of notes on how to wash and prepare the shrimp before cooking.
If you bought your shrimps from the wet market, chances are they still have their antenna or sungot. The top of the shrimp’s head has a sharp end which can be dangerous when taken into the mouth directly. Grab your kitchen shears and cut both of these parts.
At the back of the shrimp, there is a long black vein. This is actually the digestive tract of the shrimp. It is not dirty though it will feel more hygienic when these are removed. To devein the shrimp, all you need is a toothpick. Go to the the second segment of the shrimp and then pull the vein.
There may be some sand which remains in the shell so take a look at each one and wash if necessary.
That’s it! Your shrimps are now ready to cook.
HOW TO MAKE SPICY GARLIC SHRIMP
With just a few simple steps, you can make your spicy garlic shrimp in no time.
Prepare and wash your shrimps. Some people like to remove the shrimp shells before cooking. I like them intact so all the juices and flavors will be sealed in the shrimp as it cooks. I’d like to sip the flavors especially those that remain under the head.
Marinate them in lemon soda. Make sure that the soda is lemon and not caramel or orange (ex: Coke, Pepsi, Royal).
Melt your butter in a pan and then saute your minced garlic. Add your chilies (you can omit this if you want a non-spicy version). Add the tomato paste and oyster sauce.
Next, add the marinated shrimps. Add a fresh batch of lemon soda and toss the shrimps to coat them well. Cook it for a few minutes just to reduce and thicken the sauce. Shrimps cook fast and will turn orange once cooked. Do not overcook to prevent them from being dry.
And now it’s done! Super easy, right?
I personally want to papak the shrimps or eat it with ice-cold beer. You can enjoy it with rice too!
Spicy Garlic ShrimpCourse: Seafood
500 grams shrimp
1/4 cup butter
5 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
red and green chilies
1 cup lemon soda
1/2 teaspoon paprika powder (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare and wash the shrimps. Using a toothpick, devein the shrimps one by one. Transfer them to a large bowl.
- Pour around 3/4 cup of your lemon soda. Let the shrimps marinate for 30 minutes.
- Melt some butter in a pan. Add the minced garlic and saute for a few minutes until aromatic and light brown. Add some chilies depending on your spice preference.
- Add the tomato paste and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the oyster sauce and paprika powder. Stir until well-blended.
- Drain the marinated shrimps and then add to the pan. Toss the pan gently to coat the shrimps with the sauce. Add the around 1/3 cup of the lemon soda. Season with salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking until the sauce is slightly reduced. Transfer the shrimp to a serving plate.
- Make papak the shrimp or serve it with a hot bowl of rice. Enjoy!
Spicy Garlic Shrimp Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 500 grams hipon
- 1/4 tasa ng butter
- 5 butil ng bawang
- 2 kutsara ng tomato paste
- 2 kutsara ng oyster sauce
- siling labuyo
- siling pansigang
- 1 tasa ng lemon soda
- 1/2 kutsarita ng spanish paprika powder (optional)
- asin at paminta
- Ihanda at hugasan ang mga hipon. Gamit ang toothpick, alisin ang kulay itim sa likod ng mga ito. Ilipat sa malaking bowl.
- Lagyan ng 3/4 tasa ng lemon soda ang mga hipon at imarinate ng 30 minuto.
- Tunawin ang butter sa kawali. Igisa ang bawang hanggang maging light brown. Maglagay ng sili.
- Sunod na ilagay ang tomato paste at igisa ng 2 to 3 minuto. Ilagay ang oyster sauce at paprika powder. Haluin.
- Alisin ang marinade at ilagay ang mga hipon sa kawali. Haluin ng dahan dahan para malagyan ng sauce. Maglagay ng 1/3 tasa ng lemon soda. Budburan ng asin at paminta.
- Hayaan itong maluto hanggang umonti ang sauce. Ilipat ang mga hipon sa serving plate.
- Papakin ang mga spicy garlic shrimp o samahan ng mainit na kanin. Enjoy!