Spaghetti Carbonara is an Italian pasta that is scrumptious and popular, all over the world and is made by spaghetti noodles, eggs, egg yolks, pepper, parmesan cheese, oil, bacon, garlic, salt and extra shredded parmesan cheese. An iconic Italian pasta dish that can be prepared at home in just a few minutes. Spaghetti Carbonara is a delightful dish that you wont regret trying and might even add in your monthly rotation of meals.
Carbonara’s unexpected origins
There is much debate with how to make an authentic ‘Italian pasta alla carbonara recipe’ with some pasta purists and food enthusiast claiming only certain ingredients are to be added and used. This no hassle pasta is still something everyone loves to make and enjoy. As long as you make sure that when you talk about Italian pasta carbonara, remove the inclusion of any onions and cream.
The first known version of the carbonara states that Renato Gualandi a Blolognese chef created this dish to conquer the stomach of the American army. He was hired to create a lunch for the British and American army who liberated the city of Riccione. Inspired by the American diet of powdered egg yolks, cheese, and bacon, mixing the three and thus creating the well-known sauce we eat today. Renato Gualandi served this delightful pasta dish to the officers and generals, adding black pepper in the last moment to top it off and was then turned into the cook for Allied troops in Rome. And it was in that period around 1944 to 1945 that carbonara’s fame started to spread. Although many still debate on who created this dish first some published work seem to also believe that it’s an American made dish, in 1952 a Chicago district restaurant guide by Patricia Brontè published ‘ An extra ordinary guide to whats cooking in Chicago’s Near North Side’ had the carbonara added. Another appearance of one of the firsts carbonara recipes also came from Italy in aook named ‘La cucina italiana’ with a bit more different recipe in 1954.
But all in all this is still considered an Italian dish from Rome. Carbonara came from the Italian word ‘Carbonaro’ or ‘charcoal burners or coal miners’, believing the dish to be made to fill the hunger of Italian charcoal worker. Some attribute it to ‘Carbonari’ of ‘charcoal men’ a secret society created in the early repressed stages of the 19thcentury Italian unification, popularized by the La Carbonara restaurant in Rome. Carbonara is nonetheless a wonderful silky and creamy dish that has a perfect harmony of sauce and pasta fused with a wondrous amount of flavors from the freshly grated cheese and delectable bacon.
Why try this Spaghetti Carbonara recipe?
While there are a long list of carbonara recipes, from an eggs to cream version. This egg version of carbonara recipe might not be all-traditional but is made easy to recreate the Italian dish we all love to eat right at home. Carbonara is a pasta dish usually seasoned with pepper, beaten eggs, parmigiano reggiano also known as parmesan or percorino romano cheese or a combination of both with a cooked pasta of either spaghetti, rigatoni, linguine, or fettuccine, with flavored oil made from garlic and cured meat like smoked bacon, guanciale or pancetta. The main point of the dish is cooking the egg and cheese mixture into freshly cooked spaghetti, mixing it till the spaghetti strands are all covered with a creamy and beautiful sheen from the chees and eggs and a bit of the flavorful bacon oil. This foolproof recipe is sure to win you favors!
With just a few simple ingredients you can make this scrumptious delectable dish!
Spaghetti CarbonaraCourse: MainCuisine: Italian
A cheesy creamy delight in every bite
2 egg yolks
½ tablespoon pepper
1 cup parmesan (shredded)
1 tablespoon oil
½ cup bacon (chopped)
2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
water for boiling
1 tablespoon salt
3 servings (170g) of spaghetti
extra parmesan & pepper for topping
- In a bowl, mix together eggs, egg yolks, pepper, and parmesan. Set aside.
- In a pan at medium heat. Add oil and bacon, cook till the bacon is crisp but still soft. Take these out. Add garlic and cook till fragrant. Take the pan out of the heat to cool down.
- In another pot at medium heat, add enough water for boiling, add salt and mix well. Once this boils add the spaghetti and cook according to the packaging or till al dente. Once this is ready reserve 1 cup of pasta water, and strain.
- Place the strained spaghetti into the cooled pan and mix well. Add the cheese-egg mixture and mix well; the mixture will get cooked from the heat of the spaghetti. Add the bacon and mix well, mix in the pasta water a little at a time, adding only till the pasta looks creamy.
- Serve topped with more parmesan and pepper.
- Add more cheese as you like, freshly grated parmesan I great in this recipe as usual packaged parmesan has powder in then to prevent these from sticking together.
- Use any bacon from thick cuts or use pancetta for more flavor.
- Save time by boiling water while cooking the cheese egg mix and bacon.
Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe (tagalog)
- 2 itlog
- 2 dilaw ng itlog
- ½ kutsarang paminta
- 1 tasa parmesan (giniling)
- 1 kutsarang mantika
- ½ tasa bacon (tadtad)
- 2 kutsarang bawang (tadtad)
- tubig pang kulo
- 1 kutsarang asin
- 3 bahagi (170g) ng spaghetti
- extra parmesan at paminta pang sahog sa ibabaw
- Sa mangkok, haluin ang itlog, dilaw ng itlog, paminta, at parmesan. Itabi.
- Sa kawali na may katamtamang init, ilagay ang mantika at bacon, lutuin ang bacon hanggang malutong pero malambot ng konti. Tangalin. Ilagay ang bawang at lutuin hanggang mabango, tanggalin ang kawali para palamigin.
- Sa palayok na may katamtamamng init, lagyan ng tubig pang kulo, lagyan din ng asin at haluin. Pagumulo na ito ilagay ang spaghetti at lutuin ayon sa bilin ng balot o hangang al dente. Pag naluto na kunan ng 1 tasa ng pasta water, at salain.
- Ilagaya ng sinala na spaghetti sa pinalamig na kawali at haluin ng mabuti. Idagdag ang cheese-egg mixture at haluin ng mabuti, maluluto ang mixture gamit ang init ng spaghetti. Idagdag ang baon at haluin, haluin ang pasta water ng pakonti konti, dagdagan ng lng kinakailangna na tubig hanggang maging creamy.
- Ihanda at lagyan pa ng parmesan at paminta.