The Soursop (Guyabano), is part of the flowering evergreen tree family ‘Annona muricata’, native to the tropics and areas around Central and South America. It gained its popularity from its delectable sweet flavor and velvety texture, plus the cancer fighting health benefits. It helps give the body a good shot of immunity boosting nutrients and antioxidants that many can’t help but find interesting. But what more can it offer? And are there any side effects?
A short Introduction
The Soursop fruit, or in the Philippines is called ‘Guyabano, is also known as ‘Brazilian paw paw’, ‘Custard apple’ or ‘Graviola’ with the scientific name ‘Annona muricata’. The Soursop tree is a small evergreen tree that stands upright and grows to about 30 feet tall, has hairy branches, with oval to oblong shapes leaves growing to about 16 centimeters in length, it adapts to relatively warm winters and areas with high humidity. The Soursop fruit, has a pineapple-like scent, resembles an oversized prickly avocado, with short spikes all around the firm green skin. Once cut open, it reveals a white opaque flesh, with inedible black seeds, and some fiber. What does soursop taste like? Soursop tastes sweet but tart, like a sour citrus blend of apples and strawberries, which is a contrast to its velvety creamy texture.
Widely used as an alternative cancer treatment, there are still studies trying to figure out if it will fully help fight cancer. The Soursop (Guyabano) uses, ranging from treating infections caused by parasites and bacteria causing herpes, cancer, soughs, and fleas. These were also used to empty the bowels and vomit, as well as keep people relaxed. More commonly, these are used for cooking, adding them into desserts like jam fillings, preserves, syrups, sorbets, ice cream, baked goods and more, to soursop drinks like using the soursop leaves (guyabano leaves) to make into soursop leaf tea, the fruit fermented to make guyabano wine, guyabano fruit shake, juice, or just by scooping the meat out of the fruit itself as a snack or dessert.
Soursop (Guyabano) benefits and side effects
A fruit known not only for its sweet interesting meat but the vast number of benefits it has, even the soursop leaves (guyabano leaves) has benefits, these were used traditionally for parasite infections. But now with modern technology, we’ve learned more of what this fruit can really provide, like fighting cancer, parasites, and viruses. But, while this has a lot to offer, it’s better to know the side effects for certain people who might have allergies or illnesses that might not match well with the fruit.
- Helps protect against or kill Cancer cells and help keep against heart diseases. This is because it has antioxidant and inflammatory properties that protect cells from damage.
- Is used as traditional medicine, using the fruit, stem and leaves, to prevent illnesses and kill bacteria.
- Promotes a good digestive tract, being high in fiber, cleanses the gastrointestinal tract, and removes excess sodium in the body.
- Because it helps keep salt at bay, it helps heal gastric ulcers.
- Stabilizes blood sugar levels. A great diabetic snack to regulate sugar levels.
- Those with low blood pressure might want to stay away from this fruit.
- While it’s known for its many benefits, one should consume just the recommended amount (around ½ cup, not daily). Consuming too much or for an extended period can cause neurotoxicity disorders, yeast and fungal infections.
- It can negate antidepressant medications.
- A huge dosage can have an effect on the cardiovascular system, those with heart problems should avoid this.
- Guyabano for pregnant ladies? It should be avoided as this may cause uterine problems.
* Just note that this fruit is to be consumed in moderation. As long as it is not eaten daily or being overindulged, it won’t have much effect on the body.
The internet loves trends, one specific trend that will never go out of style is food. More so healthy and delicious food. The Soursop being the latest ‘it’ fruit. While there are many advantages to this fruit, one should also take note of the amount of consumption.