Mocha cake has its own quirky taste which many people, especially coffee and chocolate lovers, find extra delightful. The flavors come mainly from creamy chocolate-coffee turned into soft and fluffy irresistible cake.
Mocha Cake ala Goldilocs
Just as most people love coffee and chocolate while others love cakes, the genius recipe of Mocha cake was introduced. Mocha cake is a prepared like any other cake with eggs and flour, but take note, the taste is not comparable to any other. It is an appetizing light soft brown-colored cake filled with oozing mixture of chocolate and coffee.
I remember the first time I went to Goldilocks, a cake shop well-known in the Philippines for producing top-notch sweets. Everything inside seemed to made me stay there longer: the alluring sweet smell, the cute appealing cupcakes, the whole array of flavors, and the aura of the entire place itself. One of my favorite cake flavors is chocolate but then as I grew up, I became so into coffee. So, chocolate plus coffee, mocha flavor it is! Out of all the cakes, the mocha cake won my heart and I didn’t have any regrets. The fluffiness of the cake and the combination of choco-coffee is remarkable.
From that moment, I knew I have to taste that cake again. What I did next was to research how to make a Mocha Cake that tastes like the one I bought in Goldilocks. It should have the perfect copy of cake texture, flavor filling, and ingredient measurements. It’s very convenient and less hassle to just walk to the kitchen then bake one for myself.
How to make a Mocha Cake?
If you ask me personally what I love about cakes, I can talk all day. I am a huge fan of cakes myself so I am very particular in terms of flavors and proper textures. It should have just the right amount of ingredients to achieve the perfect softness and taste. The flavor should not be overpowering as to not make the customer feel fed up with just a few bites nor too bland as if it was made with lacking ingredients.
Baking a mocha is not that hard compared to what you think. If baking a cake is not a news to you, then the only left to master is the right amount of each ingredient for the best mocha taste.
Firstly, prepare the egg white mixture and the powder mixture as well on separate containers. Make sure to sift the powder properly to ensure balance of the flavors.
As for the batter of the mocha cake, you need to combine the egg yolks, vegetable oil, evaporated milk and the solution of coffee granules and water. Stir until all are completely mixed up. Add the dry mixture and egg white mixture, portion at a time for best mixing results.
Lastly, bake it in a preheated oven. When the cake cools down, the frosting must be filled in between the two baked cakes. You can decorate it as much as you want with the leftover frosting. Serve it with a presentable manner. Enjoy!
How to make mocha frosting?
To make the frosting, begin with having a choco-coffee flavor by combining coffee granules, cocoa powder and evaporated milk. In a separate container, whisk the unsalted butter until it becomes fluffy and then now is the time to put the choco-coffee in the mixture. Finally, add the powdered sugar.
Mocha Cake Recipe
Chocolate mocha cake is very tasty and delicious and one of most popular cake. This Mocha Cake recipe will guide you and show you how to make Mocha Cake. This is a chocolate mocha cake recipe that will give you best mocha layer cake
Mocha Cake ala GoldilocksCourse: Cake Recipes
- For the cake base
4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 cup cake flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 egg yolks
1/4 & 1/8 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup evaporated milk
2 tablepoon coffee granules + 1/8 cup water
- For the frosting
2 tablespoon coffee granules
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup powdered sugar
- To start off, prepare the egg white mixture by whipping the egg whites, cream of tartar, and white sugar until stiff peak forms. Set aside.
- In the other bowl, mix the dry ingredients by sifting cake flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine the egg yolks, vegetable oil, evaporated milk and the solution of coffee granules and water. Mix well. Put the dry mixture portion by portion and continue mixing.
- Then, cut and fold the meringue (egg white mixture) to the cake batter. Mix gently until well-combined.
- Transfer each half of the batter into two 8×8 pan with parchment paper. Bake for 13 – 15 minutes inside 160 °C or 320 °F preheated oven. Poke with a toothpick to check the consistency.
- For the frosting, combine coffee granules, cocoa powder and evaporated milk. Stir and mix well until complete dissolved. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the unsalted butter until light and fluffy. Add the coffee-cocoa syrup. Whisk until well-combined. Add half of the powdered sugar. Mix well. Add the last half of powdered sugar and mix well until well-combined.
- Assemble the cake and add the frosting. Put some frosting in between the two baked cakes to serve as fillings. You can also cover the cake with the mocha frostings and set a decoration using a star-shaped pastry bag. Serve and enjoy!
- I find it very useful to be familiar with measurements of cakes, so it is best recommended to own measurement cups and tools just to be sure. It would also add up impact if oven time is seriously being look after. Nobody would like an undercooked batter.