No need to stay in between cakes and ice creams. Enjoy both of these delectable desserts as one with the ice cream cake! For the scorching heat brought by the summer, an ice cream cake with the tropical twist of mangoes would truly uplift your spirits. Enjoy a chilly and fresh dessert and give mango ice cream cake a try!
THE GREAT ICE CREAM THEORY
Unlike the ice cream we know, the first ice creams were made using sweetened water which were crushed and then decorated with toppings and fruits. It was the Persians who enjoyed this first prototype of ice cream. Ice creams started as a “dessert for the elite”. But with the invention of freezers, this treat then became widely available for the public. The past ice cream made with crushed ice also evolved to our present day ice cream, made with cream and flavored with different fruits.
Ice creams now are enjoyed so much more than just plain ice creams. They are incorporated to other desserts like banana splits and the Filipino halo-halo. More to that, ice creams are now prepared as cakes! As people hated to choose whether they eat ice cream or cake, they joined these two desserts together and formed the ice cream cake.
MANGO ICE CREAM CAKE
As a mango lover, I made sure I made a mango version of almost all the desserts I do. I have made cookies and cream ice cream cake before and I am confident to replicate this recipe using the freshest and ripest yellow mangoes. We’re lucky that mangoes grown in abundance here in our country. It is not really that hard to pick the best ones.
Unlike regular cakes, the base of this cake is mango-flavoured ice cream. The mango flavor came from the fresh mangoes which are pureed and some whole mango bits just for a tropical twist in every bite. The crust is made with crushed graham crackers which gives a big crunch at the end of the cake.
If you love mangoes and you love cakes, try this recipe today!
HOW TO MAKE MANGO ICE CREAM CAKE
In making this delectable dessert, just imagine making mango ice cream but with a crust. And instead of scooping, this cake is sliced when served.
In this recipe, I used a special type of pan—the spring form pan. This pan is commonly used for cheesecakes since the edges of the pan can be opened to prevent ruining the toppings of the cake. Since this is an ice cream cake, it would be hard to scrape the edges for later. If you have no spring form pan, I advise you to use any container but layer them with baking paper or plastic wrap, so that you’re just gonna lift the ice cream cake for later.
We are going to start our cake with the graham crust. Crush your grahams into just fine pieces (not powder) and mix with melted butter. Layer them in the pan and then chill. Super easy, right?
The mango ice cream is made by whipping the cream until it doubles. The mango flavor will come from the pureed mangoes and the mango cubes. If I were you, save some of this puree and these mango cubes for toppings. Pour the ice cream mixture into the pan and decorate with the toppings. I made mango swirls using the puree. The cake is done and all you need to do is freezing. Have a slice and enjoy!
Mango Ice Cream CakeCourse: Desserts
1 kilo ripe mangoes
500mL all purpose cream (chilled overnight)
300mL condensed milk (chilled overnight)
1 ½ cup graham crackers (crushed)
1/3 cup melted butter (or margarine)
- Combine the crushed grahams and melted butter in a bowl. Mix well until you achieve a sand-like texture.
- Prepare your spring-form pan and layer it with baking paper or cling wrap. Make the cake crust by arranging the crushed grahams at the bottom of the pan. Use a flat tool and press lightly to make the crust compact. Chill this for 15 minutes.
- Prepare your mangoes. Slice half of them into cubes and save the other half for blending.
- Blend half the mangoes until it turns to a puree. Set aside.
- Whip your chilled cream in a large bowl using high speed until smooth and doubles its volume. Add the condensed milk and the mango puree and whip again until well-incorporated. Add the mango cubes and stir gently until well-distributed.
- Transfer the ice cream mixture into the spring-form pan. Pour some mango puree and mango cubes for toppings. Let it freeze for at least 6 hours before serving.
- Remove the baking paper. Slice a piece of mango ice cream cake and enjoy!
Paano Magluto ng Mango Ice Cream Cake
- 1 kilo hinog na mangga
- 500mL all purpose cream (pinalamig magdamag)
- 300mL condensed milk (pinalamig magdamag)
- 1 ½ tasa ng graham crackers (dinurog)
- 1/3 tasa ng tinunaw na butter (o mantikilya)
- Sa isang bowl, paghaluin ang dinurog na grahams at tinunaw na butter hanggang magkaroon ng mabuhangin na texture.
- Ihanda ang iyong spring-form pan (o kahit anong lalagyan) at lagyan ng baking paper o cling wrap. Ilagay ang pinaghalong grahams at butter para makagawa ng cake crust. Piratin ng konti ang crust para maging siksik. Palamigin ito ng 15 minutes.
- Ihanda ang mga mangga. Hiwain ang kalahati nito sa cubes at ihiwalay ang kalahati na ibe-blend.
- I-blend ang kalahati ng mga mangga para makagawa ng puree. Isantabi.
- I-whip ang cream nang mabilis hanggang dumoble at maging smooth. Ilagay ang condensed milk at ang mango puree at i-whip ulit para humalo. Ilagay ang mango cubes at haluin.
- Ilipat ang ice cream mixture sa spring-form pan. Maglagay ng konting mango puree at mango cubes sa ibabaw. Patigasin ang ice cream cake ng 6 na oras.
- Alisin ang baking paper at pwede nang kumuha ng isang slice ng mango ice cream cake. Enjoy!