Ginataang Papaya at Manok is a fushion dish where Ginataang papaya and ginataang manok fused together to make a better dish. These chicken dish is super creamy and simply delightful to the palate. Having it with some newly steamed rice will make the meal richer and fully packed.
GINATAANG PAPAYA AT MANOK
Ginataan came from the root word “gata” which means “coconut milk” in English. Coconut milk is the defining ingredient among these dishes which makes them uniquely creamier.
Various meats and vegetables became more toothsome when complimented with the coconut milk. Two of these are the papaya and chicken. In some regions, ginataang manok is also called adobo sa gata.
Aside from atsara, ginataang papaya and chicken is my go-to food after harvesting papaya from our tree. This is one of the easiest dishes which requires only a few ingredients. The creamy combination of the chicken, papaya and the coconut milk makes a great rice topper especially during the lunch. Sometimes, I add a few chili leaves for additional color and overall taste.
To make this simple but sumptuous dish, I have the ingredients and instructions listed below. Have fun cooking!
HOW TO MAKE GINATAANG PAPAYA AT MANOK
Once you have your ingredients ready, making the ginataang papaya at manok is simple and straightforward.
Quick reminder: Make sure to use unripe papaya. The unripe papya is considered a vegetable while the ripe is considered a fruit. Ripe papaya is super soft and sweet. It will be mushy at the end of the cooking and will give the dish an unusually sweet taste.
To start, saute your aromatics, chicken and the unripe papaya. In some regions, some vinegar is added for some extra linamnam.
To soften the chicken and papaya, simmer them in the thin coconut milk (or water).
Add the coconut cream when the papaya is already tender. I suggest not to cover the pan at this point to prevent the coconut cream from curdling.
After adding the all the ingredients, allow it to cook until the chicken and papaya are both cooked and the sauce is thicker. Then it’s done!
Serve your ginataang manok with papaya on top of some newly steamed rice. Enjoy
You May Like
Creamy Bicol Express
Ginataang Papaya at ManokCourse: Chicken Recipes, Filipino Recipes
1/2 kilo chicken (cut into serving pieces)
1 to 2 unripe papaya (around 1 kilo)
1 1/2 cup thin coconut milk
1 cup coconut cream
1 large onion (chopped)
5 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 thumb-sized ginger (chopped)
1/4 cup vinegar
Fish sauce or salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 to 5 pieces green chilies
Oil (for sauteing)
- Heat some oil in a pan. Saute the onions, garlic and ginger for a few minutes until fragrant. Add the chicken and saute until it changes color.
- Add the unripe papaya and saute for a few mintues.
- Pour the vinegar but do not stir yet to let the acidity of the vinegar subside. Stir after 3 minutes. Season with fish sauce and black pepper.
- Pour the thin coconut milk. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the papaya is tender. Stir from time to time.
- If the papaya is tender, lower the heat and then add the coconut milk. Gently stir.
- Cook for a few more minutes until the sauce becomes thicker.
- Add the green chilies. You can add red chilies if you want it spicy.
- Transfer the ginataang manok with papaya to a serving bowl. Serve it with some hot steaming rice. Enjoy!
Ginataang Papaya at Manok
- 1/2 kilo ng manok (hiniwa ng serving pieces)
- 1 – 2 hilaw na papaya (nasa 1 kilo)
- 1 1/2 tasa ng pangalawang piga
- 1 tasa ng gata
- 1 malaking sibuyas (hiniwa)
- 5 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 luya (hiniwa)
- 1/4 tasa ng suka
- patis o asin
- 1/2 kutsarita ng paminta
- 3 – 5 siling pansigang
- oil (pang-gisa)
- Magpainit ng mantika. Igisa ang sibuyas, bawang at luya ng ilang minuto. Sunod na igisa ang manok hanggang mag-iba ang kulay.
- Ilagay ang mga hilaw na papaya at igisa ng konti.
- Ilagay ang suka. Huwag muna haluin. Haluin pagkatapos ng 3 minuto. Lasahan ito gamit ang patis at paminta.
- Ilagay ang pangalawang piga. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto ng 10-15 minutes hanggang lumambot ang mga papaya. Haluin paminsan-minsan.
- Kapag malambot na ang papaya, babaan ang apoy at ilagay ang gata. Haluin ng dahan-dahan.
- Hayaan lang itong maluto hanggang lumapot ang sauce.
- Ilagay ang siling pansigang. Pwedeng gumamit ng red chilies para mas maanghang.
- Ilipat ang ginataang manok with papaya sa isang serving bowl. Ihain ito kasama ng mainit na kanin. Enjoy!