If you want to prepare a crab dish with just limited ingredients, the crab in oyster sauce is a budgetarian seafood dish which is savoury and super yummy. Prepared by stir frying large crabs in an umami sauce made with butter, garlic and oyster sauce, this seafood dish pairs best with hot steaming rice!
CRAB IN OYSTER SAUCE
In the seafood world, crabs are one among the most popular seafood aside from shrimp and squids. The crabs sold at the market are more likely mud crabs. These crabs are the large ones which has a thick and dark-colored shells. With their large size, they infuse a wonderful seafood flavor when cooked.
I usually see this large crabs whenever I go to the market weekly to replenish our food stock. When I saw those ultimately large mud crabs, I had no second thoughts and immediately bought a kilo. Being a fan of Asian dishes, crabs in oyster sauce is the first dish I thought. I specifically reserve these large crabs for this dish. It is very simple but the seafood and umami provide a complexity of flavors.
Serving some crabs in oyster sauce for a regular dinner was a surprise for my family. To make your dinners better, try and make some crabs in oyster sauce today! Happy cooking!
HOW TO MAKE CRAB IN OYSTER SAUCE
Crab in oyster sauce will involve a lot of stir-frying. Prepare your best wok for now and prepare your tummy for a delicious dish for later.
To make the best crabs in oyster sauce, choose large crabs. Those are the meatier ones and will give you a much seafood flavor. You can find the freshest crabs from the crab farms. If they’re a bit far from your area, frozen crabs are also good ones. I cut my crabs in half to make sure that the umami sauce will sip in later.
Make your oil buttery by melting some butter in your wok. Add your crabs and the stir-frying game is on. The next steps will involve adding the rest of the seasonings one by one to achieve a flavorful and umami sauce. Make the sauce thick by adding a slurry. A thick sauce will coat the crabs more.
Drizzling some sesame sauce is optional but I really like a hint of nutty flavor. Alternatively, you can sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds. If you’re a garlic fan, fried garlic topping will step up your dish more. Your crabs in oyster sauce is done and is now ready to serve. Prepare some hot rice and enjoy!
You can also try this recipe using other seafood like clams, mussels and shrimps.
Crab in Oyster SauceCourse: Seafood
3 pieces crab (cut in half)
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 onion (minced)
1 tablespoon ginger (sliced)
2 tablespoons celery (chopped)
2 tablespoons spring onions
1 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
3 to 4 pieces chili pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
salt, pepper, sesame oil to taste
- Heat some oil in a pan using low heat. Add the butter and melt. Sauté the garlic, onion and ginger for a minute.
- Add the crabs. Stir fry for about 2 minutes. Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, chopped celery and spring onions. Toss gently.
- Make a slurry by combining cornstarch to chicken broth. Add the slurry and increase the heat to medium high heat.
- When the crab turned red, reduce the heat.
- Add the chopped chili peppers and stir for about 1 minute to infuse the flavor.
- Season with salt, pepper and sesame oil. Cook for another minute and then turn the heat off.
- Transfer the crab in oyster sauce in a serving plate and serve. You may papak it or eat with some hot steaming rice. Enjoy!
Crabs in Oyster Sauce Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 3 piraso ng alimango (hinati sa dalaw)
- 2 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 kutsara ng luya (hiniwa)
- 2 kutsara ng celery (hiniwa)
- 2 kutsara ng spring onions
- 1 tasa ng chicken broth
- 2 kutsara ng cornstarch
- 1 kutsara ng toyo
- 2 kutsara ng oyster sauce
- 3 – 4 piraso ng sili
- 2 kutsara ng olive oil
- 1 kutsara ng butter
- Magpainit ng mantika gamit ang mababang apoy. Ilagay ang butter at tunawin. Igisa ang bawang, sibuyas at luya ng isang minuto.
- Ilagay ang mga alimango. Igisa ng 2 minuto. Ilagay ang toyo, oyster sauce, celery at spring onions. I-toss ng dahan-dahan.
- Paghaluin ang cornstarch at chicken broth para makagawa ng slurry. Ilagay ang slurry sa kawali at taasan ang apoy.
- Kapag mapula na ang mga alimango, babaan ang apoy.
- Ilagay ang mga sili at haluin ng 1 minuto para umanghang.
- Budburan ng asin, paminta at sesame oil. Lutuin ng isang minuto at patayin ang apoy.
- Ilipat ang crab in oyster sauce sa serving plate at ihain. Pwedeng papakin o kainin kasama ng mainit na kanin. Enjoy!