Chicken Hamonado is an easy Chicken recipe that you can serve to your family and will surely be enjoyed. To make this dish extra special, instead of cooking it chopped into serving size, I cooked it as a whole, making this dish perfect for holiday or special occasions. I made this recipe to be served as one of our main dishes for the holiday. The best part of this recipe is you don’t have to cook this in oven. You just need a deep wok or pan with lid ( a little bit of patience) and it’s good to go!
How to Cook Chicken Hamonado Recipe
1kg. whole chicken (you can also use choice cut)
2 cups pineapple juice
4 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 pieces bay leaf
oil for searing
2 tbsp. brown sugar (optional)
1 tbsp. oyster sauce
1 can (227g) pineapple slices (or pineapple chunks)
1 medium onion (minced)
5 cloves garlic (minced)
salt to taste
1. Combine pineapple juice, soy sauce and black pepper. Mix well. Pour over the chicken. Add bay leaf. Marinate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
2. After marinating, drain from the marinade. Then sear all sides of the chicken until brown. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in pan and sear the chicken. Turn to cook each side. After browning, set aside.
3. In the same pan, saute’ onion and garlic. then put back the chicken. Add the reserved marinade. Add oyster sauce and brown sugar. Simmer for 15 minutes in low heat.
4. After 15 minutes, turn the chicken to cook the other side. Simmer for another 10 minutes low heat.
5. After 10 minutes, add the pineapple slices and its juice. Then start basting the chicken (scoop some sauce and pour over the chicken as you cook). Cook the chicken until the sauce thickens (medium heat).
6. Once the sauce is reduced, add salt to taste. Simmer for a minute then remove from heat.
- You can use chopped Chicken in this recipe especially if you want to cook it faster. It is best to use chicken thigh, quarter leg or wing part for juicy and more savory taste.
- Adjust the sugar as needed depending on the pineapple chunk or juice you’re going to use. Some brands of pineapple chunks in can tend to be sweeter than the other so adjust accordingly.
- If you want to make sure that the inside of the chicken if fully cooked, check with meat thermometer Stick your thermometer in the thickest part of the chicken. The safe internal temperature is 175 F or 80C.