Make crispy, healthy and flavorful cabbage balls complete with eggs and meat. This easy meal is an all in one dish that all you’ll need is a side of sweet and sour sauce and a steaming hot cup or freshly cooked rice. Get ready for the morning with this easy breakfast meal that’ll help start your day right with a full and flavorful meal that whole family will love.
What are the health benefits of cabbage?
There are so many proven health benefits from cabbage. From kimchi, sauerkraut, to coleslaws, and many more other delicious recipes that use this vegetable. You’ll find a healthy dose of benefits like supporting digestive tract; many studies suggest that fiber found in cabbage, help retain water in the body and maintain the bulkiness of food as it goes through the bowels. Cabbage also helps with reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases and lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels. It also has a high quality of vitamin C, which promotes skin helps and prevent dry skin, wound healing, and reducing wrinkling. Cabbage dishes also help promote healthy weight loss, with the simple vegetable packed with minerals, vitamins, and nutrients including water and fiber, it a great option to add into your diet when you want to shed some pounds. Its also a good source of beta-carotene which has the ability to promote good eye health and delay cataract formation. Being rich in vitamin K, antioxidants, iodine, and anthocyanin, which are elements that help the building blocks of the brain. Emerging researches show that eating cabbage helps maintain the structural integrity of the nervous system and the brain. There’s also a presence of potassium, which helps protect you from high blood pressure, lessen the possibility of heart attacks and stroke, and overall a shield for many types of bad conditions, it also speeds up healing because cabbage is rich in sulfur, and fermented cabbages release lactic acid, which helps reduce muscle aches and soreness.
What are Cabbage Balls?
Cabbage rolls are like the cousins of the meatballs and dumplings. It s a delicious snack of main dish you can eat with rice or ala carte with just the sauce. It’s a tasty meal for the whole family.
To make this dish all you need to do is was and prepare the cabbage, this is then chopped to small pieces and sprinkled with salt to help it wilt and remove the water, once wilted squeeze the excess water out. This is important, as you want to have as less water in the batter to keep it thick and easy to mold, and will keep it’s shaped when cooked. The cabbage is then place in a bowl with some ingredients like pork, diced onions, sugar, oyster sauce, salt , black pepper, and eggs that are added one at a time these are needed since eggs act as the adhesive, add all purpose flour to make the batter thick, and finally cornstarch to make it crispy, this are then molded into balls. Depending on how big these are will take how long it will need to be fried. After molding the balls, place them in a hot pan with oil, add the balls by bathes to avoid them from sticking together, slipping till all sides have turned into a nice brown color, take them out to strain or cool on a kitchen towel to remove any excess oil, and serve with sweet and sour sauce and or a steaming cup of rice.
This crispy cabbage ball may just be the healthier version of the meatball, with extra eggs to make it a completely great breakfast meal or a filling afternoon snack.
Cabbage ballsCourse: Snacks
a healthy but still tasty way to eat cabbage
¼ ground pork
1 medium sized onion (diced)
4 cloves garlic (diced)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
8 tablespoon all purpose flour
8 tablespoons cornstarch
- Chop the cabbage into smaller pieces. Place them on a strainer and sprinkle salt to make the cabbage wilt. Mix well.
- Press the cabbage to remove the excess water. Throw out the excess water.
- Place the cabbage, onion, garlic, pork, black pepper, brown sugar, oyster sauce, and 1 egg in a bowl and mix well.
- Add cornstarch and mix well. Add another egg and all purpose flour and mix until well combined. Mix in another egg then shape the mixture into balls.
- In a pan at medium heat, add oil and fry the cabbage balls. Do this by batch to avoid over crowding. Cook till it has a nice golden color.
- Serve with a side of sweet and sour sauce.
Cabbage balls recipe (tagalog)
- ½ repolyo
- ¼ giniling na baka
- 1 sibuyas (tinadtad)
- 4 butil ng bawang (tadtad)
- 1 kutsarang kayumangging asukal
- 1 kutsarang oyster sauce
- 1 kutsarang asin
- 1 kutsarang paminta
- 2 itlog
- 8 kutsarang harina
- 8 kutsarang cornstarch
- Itadtad ang repolyo ng maliliit. Salain at wisikan ng asin para malanta. Halutin ng mabuti.
- Pisain para matanggal ang sobrang tubig. Tapunin ang tubig.
- Ilagay at haluin ang repolyo, sibuyas, bawang, baka, paminta, asukal, oyster sauce, at isang itlog sa mangkok.
- Idagdag ang cornstarch at haluin ng mabuti. Isama ang 1 itlog at harina at haluin ng mabuti. Haluin ang isa pang itlog at iporma ito ng bola.
- Sa kawali na may katamtamang init, lagyan ng mantika at iprito ang mga bola. Gawin ito ng bawat pangkat para di masikip ang kawali. Lutuin hanggang mag kayumanggi ang kulay.
- Ihanda kawama ang sweet and sour sauce.