Everyone wants a sweet treat now and then. With these beautiful cookies with shiny crispy cracked tops, and rich fudgy centers. Who wouldn’t want a piece of that? These brownie cookies are ultimate dream for brownie and cookie enthusiasts!
A short history on the Brownie
In 1896, the first brownie made by Fannie Farmer were made without chocolate and used molasses, baked in individual shallow cake tins, garnished with half a pecan, resulting to a dainty looking tea cake similar to a hermit bar with a texture of a blondie bar. After this recipe’s debut in Farmer’s cookbook the term ‘brownie’ was coined to refer to mini cookies, candies, or cakes in 1897. Following it’s trend, the Chocolate flavoring came to be during the brownie’s candy phase, advertise as ‘Chocolate Brownies’ in numerous advertisements in 1901 and 1907 at Washington, D.C. and Minneapolis. The addition of adding chocolate to pastries was on the rise, namely a baked good containing chocolate, cut into squares of strips.
Brownie today are not considered as cakes, although depending in the baker it could turn as fluffy or as dense as a cake, brownies are still classified as a finger food or ‘cookie bar’ in America. Brownies are considered on of America’s ‘best loved desserts’. Although the beginnings of the brownies can be traced back, the idea of adding chocolate and leaving it as a dense ‘cake’ sliced into bars or filled and topped with other delicious decorations as chocolate sauce, caramel, sprinkles and such are complicatedly filled with different stories of different people claiming to have invented the said dessert.
Chocolate fudge brownies, cake-y brownies, brownie filled with cookies, or filled with more chocolate, peanut butter or caramel to make a beautiful gooey melt in your mouth filling. Brownies have evolved through the years and is still evolving with more ideas today.
Why try Brownie Cookies?
Brownie cookies can be described as almost in a crinkle style cook, with a denser flatter body and a crispy outer layer. While Cookies have been a café item long before, you’d be hard press to find a café that does not sell some kind of dessert or even a cookie on its dessert window. Why do people enjoy their coffee with a piece of cookie to nibble on? There are many coffee aficionados object adding sugar into their coffee that it may ‘ruin’ the drink so adding something sweet on the side balances the ‘bitterness’ that coffee has.
In the modern age the rise of Coffee houses and high end espresso machinery. Almost any adult can be seen starting their mornings with a caffeinated drink or the afternoons with a warm or bitter-sweet drink and side of pastry in the afternoon.
Brownie cookies may have been familiarly seen in many café-like YouTube videos, Korean YouTubers and baking channels to create the café experience at home. Imagine a fudgy brownie with the crispiness and size of a cookie; this brownie cookie is the perfect middle of both worlds. Perfect for any occasion or even as a sinful midnight snack.
A combination of sweet irresistible snacks to nibble on in the afternoon!
Indulge yourself with this sweet and easy chocolaty treat!
½ cup dark chocolate (chopped)
¼ cup unsalted butter
1 large egg
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup white sugar
2/3 cup all purpose flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
- Chop the chocolate into a bowl and add the butter. Melt in the microwave for 30 seconds. Take this out and mix till the chocolate turns smooth and feels like syrup.
- In another bowl, cream egg, brown sugar, and white sugar till fluffy. Add in the melted chocolate and mix well.
- Sift in all purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into the mixture. Fold to avoid over mixing. Folding the batter till there’s no flour left.
- Using a scoop or spoon, scoop 1 tablespoon of batter into a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Keep the batter at least 2 inches away from each other.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F or 160°C for 8 to 9 minutes.
- Let this rest in the pan for 3 to 5 minutes before taking this out and fully cooling on a rack.
- Enjoy with a nice cup of coffee!
- If the batter it too liquid-y, chill this in the fridge for 10 to 20 minutes.
Brownie Cookies Recipe (Tagalog)
- ½ tasa dark tsokolate (hinati ng maliliit)
- ¼ tasa mantikilya na walang asin
- 1 malaking itlog
- ½ tasa kayumangging asukal
- ¼ tasa puting asukal
- 2/3 tasa harina
- ¼ tasa cocoa powder
- ¼ kutsaritang baking soda
- ½ kutsaritang asin
- Itadtad ang tsokolate at itabi ito sa maliit na mangkok, idagdag ang mantikilya dito. Tunawin sa microwave ng 30 segundo. Itangal sa microwave at haluin ito hangang magmukang makinis at parang syrup ang itsura.
- Sa isang mangkok, haluin ang itlog, kayumangging asukal, at puting asukal. Idagdag ang tsokolate ditto at haluin ng mabuti.
- Salain ang harina, cocoa powder, baking soda, at asin sa mixture. Tiklopin ito para di masobrahan ang paghalo. Tiklopan hangang walang makita na harina.
- Gamit ang scoop o kutsara, kumuha ng isang kutsarang batter at ilugar ito sa pan na may parchment paper. Ilugar ng 2 pulgadang palayo ang mga batter sa isa’t isa.
- Ihurno sa oben ng 350°F o 160°C ng 8 o 9 na minuto.
- Iwanin sa pan ng 3 o 5 minuto bago tanggalin. Pagtanggal ipalamig muli sa taas ng rack.
- May-enjoy na partner ng kape!