Suman balinghoy with kalabasa is an enriched version of our classic suman balinghoy. This native Filipino delicacy uses squash for texture and added vitamins and minerals. Enjoy your favorite suman in a healthier way!
SUMAN BALINGHOY WITH KALABASA
Suman is one of the Filipino native delicacies. It is always present during different festivals and special occasions. When one delivers you a box of suman, you are more likely invited to one’s wedding.
There are different types of suman like black rice suman, tupig, suman pinipig, suman sa lihiya, suman moron and many more. Each of them has their own unique features but one common thing which makes them suman is being wrapped in banana leaves.
Suman balinghoy is one of the first suman recipes I’ve learned ever since I was a child. I like how to suman balinghoy is already sweet unlike the others which needs toppings like latik or sugar. With the suman wrapped in banana leaves, it is very convenient to eat even when I’m on the road.
With my journey on trying to make classic dishes healthier, the suman balinghoy with kalabasa was born. I had an excess supply of kalabasa during that time and decided to add it in my suman balinghoy. Aside from fortifying my suman with a lot of nutrients like vitamin A, iron and B-complex, the kalabasa also gave the suman a nice texture. I consider this a certified healthier and tastier version of the classic suman balinghoy. If you want to try this recipe, continue reading the instructions below.
HOW TO COOK SUMAN BALINGHOY WITH KALABASA
If you have tried making the classic suman balinghoy before, the steps will be almost similar except for a few twist. Prepare the cassava and squash by grating them in two separate bowls. The next step would be combining all the ingredients together. Make sure to squeeze the liquid out of the grated cassava for your suman not to be too runny.
It’s wrapping time! Before you start to form the suman, prepare your banana leaves by passing them quickly over the flame to become pliable. Scoop some suman mixture and arrange them into a log. Roll the suman and secure the content by folding the sides inward. Most sumans are sold in pairs, hence they are called “kambal na suman”. You can opt to just let your suman cook individually. If you are planning to sell them, it is recommended to tie two sumans together with the folded sides inside. Tie the sumans using banana leaf strips and then let them steam until done.
You can eat the suman straight out of the steamer or let it cool a bit before consuming. The suman is sweet enough and doesn’t need toppings like latik. Enjoy your suman balinghoy with kalabasa with a cup of hot tea or coffee.
Suman Balinghoy with KalabasaCourse: Filipino Recipes, Snacks
1 cup squash (grated)
2 cups fresh cassava (grated) (balinghoy)
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup condensed milk
- Grate the squash into tiny pieces. Set aside.
- Grate the fresh cassava into tiny pieces. Set aside.
- Quickly pass the banana leaves through flame to become soft and pliable.
- Squeeze the liquid out of the grated cassava using a strainer.
- In a large bowl, combine the grated cassava, grated squash, brown sugar and condensed milk. Mix until well-combined.
- Lay a banana leaf on a flat surface. Scoop around 2 tablespoons of the mixture and spread into a log. Gently wrap the mixture. Secure the sides by folding the leaf inward.
- Cut some of the banana leaves into thin strips. Tie two suman together using the banana leaf twine.
- Arrange the suman in a steamer. Let it steam for 45 minutes using medium heat.
- Remove the suman from the steamer and transfer them to a serving plate. Unwrap the suman before eating. Enjoy!
Suman Balinghoy with Kalabasa Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1 tasa ng kalabasa (grated)
- 2 tasa ng balinghoy (grated)
- ½ tasa ng asukal na pula
- ½ tasa ng condensed milk
- I-grate ang kalabasa sa maliliit na piraso. Isantabi.
- I-grate ang balinghoy sa maliliit na piraso. Isantabi.
- Padaanin sa apoy ang dahon ng saging para maging malambot.
- Pigain ang balinghoy gamit ang strainer para lumabas ang katas nito.
- Sa isang malaking bowl, paghaluhaluin ang balinghoy, kalabasa, asukal na pula at ang condensed milk. Haluin ang mga ito ng mabuti.
- Ilagay ang dahon ng saging sa isang flat surface. Kumuha ng 2 kutsara ng suman mixture at i-spread ito ng pahaba. Dahan dahang i-roll ang dahon. Tiklupin paloob ang dalawang gilid ng dahon.
- Maghiwa ng dahon sa maninipis na strips para makagawa ng panali. Itali ang dalawang suman nang magkaharap gamit ang manipis na banana leaf twine.
- I-arrange ang mga suman sa isang steaming. Hayaan itong ma-steam ng 45 minuto gamit ang katamtamang apoy.
- Alisin ang mga suman sa steamer at ilipat sa isang serving plate. Alisin ang dahon ng saging bago kainin. Enjoy!