Pork Hamonado is a Filipino dish made of pork cooked in sweet, salty and savoury sauce made of Pineapple juice, soy sauce and other spices. This pok hamonada is made with pork belly, pineapple juice, pineapple chunks, onion, garlic, soy sauce, bay leave, pepper, sugar and salt. The pork meat is braised in this sweet, salty and savoury sauce to make a dish that makes you crave for more. Best eaten with a bowl of hot steaming rice!
Hamonado is a Spanish term which means “to be prepared like ham”. Unlike the Christmas ham, the Filipino hamonado dish is different from the slab of ham commonly served during Christmas. Some similarities can still be seen among the two dishes.
Most of the store-bought smoked ham comes with a small pack of pineapple sauce. Meanwhile, a hamonado dish was known to be a general term for any meat which is marinated and braised with pineapple and soy sauce. Both dishes are wonderful Christmas dishes but the hamonado will be explored in this blog.
Ham is one my niece’s favorite food. She always has a stock of the sliced processed ham in our fridge. The ham slices being process and a high sodium content, I decided to make some pork hamonado for her. I know ham and the hamonado dish aint the same, but I believe she’ll have a fun experience with the pork hamonado which I will be cooking at home for the first time.
It’s also a good time of making pork hamonado since I have some fresh pineapples lying in my kitchen. This is the best way to enjoy imitate our favorite ham in a fresh, light an unprocessed way. If you would want to prepare a dish similar to this, try making pork hamonado today!
HOW TO MAKE PORK HAMONADO
Pork hamonado is a one-pan dish and is very easy to make. There are a lot of pork cuts you can choose from but I highly suggest getting some pork belly. This pork cut has a nice ratio of fat and lean meat for the ultimate melt-in-your mouth experience!
Marinate your pork in pineapple juice and soy sauce mixture. These two ingredients are the defining taste in a pork hamonado. Simply sweet and umami. If you would like to eat some pork hamonado for breakfast, I suggest marinating the pork at night and then cook them in the morning.
Separate the pork from the marinade. Sear the pork pieces to seal the juices inside the meat. This helps intensify the flavor of our pork hamonado. Saute the seared meat with the aromatics. Use the marinade as the sauce base. Add the seasonings and simmer until tender. Add some pineapple chunks for fresh fruity bites!
When the pork is tender, the pork hamonado is ready. If you would like a saucy pork hamonado, transfer them to a serving plate with some hot steaming rice. If you like a dry pork hamonado, continue cooking until the sauce dries up. Enjoy!
This PORK HAMONADO recipe will guide you step by step to make most awesome pork hamonado for your family and guests. enjoy the day
Pork HamonadoCourse: Pork Recipes
1 kilo pork belly
1 ½ cup pineapple juice
1 cup pineapple chunks
1 medium-sized onion (minced)
3 cloves of garlic (minced)
2 – 3 pcs bay leaves
1 teaspoon pepper
½ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Salt to taste
- Prepare the pork belly and cut into serving pieces. Place the pork belly in a large bowl and add the pineapple juice and soy sauce. Mix well. Marinate for at least 1 hour.
- After marinating, separate the meat from the marinade. Reserve the marinade.
- Sear the pork cuts using high heat until oil has been rendered. Flip to sear the other side. Transfer the seared pork to a container.
- Sauté the onions and garlic for a few minutes. Add the seared pork belly and sauté.
- Add the reserved marinade. Add the black pepper, sugar and bay leaves. Stir until well-combined. Cover the pan and let it simmer using medium-low heat until the pork is tender. Stir occasionally while simmering.
- Check the tenderness of the pork using the fork test. Once tender, add the pineapple chunks. Season with salt. Stir well to combine. Simmer for a few minutes until the sauce is reduced.
- Transfer the pork hamonado in a serving plate and serve with hot steaming rice. Enjoy!
Pork Hamonado Recipe (Tagalog)
- 1 kilo pork belly
- 1 ½ tasa ng pineapple juice
- 1 tasa ng pineapple chunks
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 3 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 2 – 3 piraso ng bay leaves
- 1 kutsaritang paminta
- ½ tasa ng toyo
- 2 kutsara ng asukal na pula
- Ihanda ang pork belly at hiwain sa serving pieces. Ilagay ang mga ito sa isang bowl at ilagay ang pineapple juice at soy sauce. Haluin ng mabuti. Imarinate ng at least 1 hour.
- Pagkatapos imarinate, ihiwalay ang karne sa marinade. Isantabi ang marinade.
- I-sear ang karne gamit ang mataas na apoy hanggang magmantika. Baliktarin para ma-sear ang kabilang side. Ilipat ang mga karne sa lalagyan.
- Sa parehas na kawali, igisa ang sibuyas at bawang. Ibalik sa kawali ang karne at igisa.
- Ilagay ang marinade. Sunod na ilagay ang paminta, asukal at bay leaves. Haluin ng mabuti. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto gamit ang katamtamang mababang apoy hanggang lumambot ang baboy. Haluin paminsan minsan.
- Gawin ang fork test para malaman kung malambot na ang baboy. Kapag malambot na, ilagay ang pineapple chunks. Budburan ng asin at haluin. Hayaan itong maluto ng ilang minuto hanggang maiga ang sabaw.
- Ilipat ang pork hamonado sa serving plate at ihain kasama ang mainit na kanin. Enjoy!