This Jollibee Spaghetti is pasta wrapped up in a meaty, brightly colored, sweet and savory flavor packed sauce with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese to top it off and very popular in Philippines. This recipe will take you back on those days when you get back at home after school or work and have a serving of Filipino style spaghetti with friends, on special occasions like birthdays, and even on certain holidays.
How did the Filipino Spaghetti get started?
The Filipino Style Spaghetti was inspired by the Italian Bolognese. While many Italians will surely feel appalled by the idea od a sweet spaghetti with hot dogs. This Filipino spaghetti is actually very addictive and cannot be helped but be loved as a common Filipino comfort food, especially by kids and adults alike. The idea of this pasta came to the Philippines in the 1800’s during the American colonization, they were introduced to a myriad of products, namely the ketchup and hot dogs which were incorporated to the dish. It was even rumored that the spaghetti dish was created due to General Douglas MacArthur in World War II at Japan where they had the Spaghetti Neapolitan, which uses ketchup rather than tomatoes as one of the main bases of the sauce. MacArthur the adjusted the flavor profile when he arrived in the Philippines, with other ingredients added. The localized version of the spaghetti uses a special ingredient. The ‘Banana Ketchup’ depending on the brand the color may vary to a muddy brown to a vibrant red similar to the usual tomato ketchup. The banana ketchup adds a bit of an orangey color and sweetness into the sauce.
Why do people love Jollibee Spaghetti?
These days the rendition of the Sweet style Filipino Spaghetti dish can be found from fast food chain restaurants to popular menus and popularly made at home especially on birthdays and special occasions. The Filipino Style sauce has gotten so popular there are even premade sauces you can buy in the supermarkets to be heated up ready to be topped on some noodles of your choice.
To create this wonderfully sweet and savory delightful dish, all you need to do is cook the noodles according to packaging, adding salt to add more flavor and oil to keep the noodles from sticking together. Once al dente take these out to strain and set aside. As for the sauce, this is just a quick mix of hot dogs and ground beef seasoned with salt and pepper for that meaty taste and texture. Cooked in aromatics like onions, bell pepper, and garlic. Cooked with the Filipino Style Spaghetti Sauce a quick easy mix of tomato sauce that already has a hint of the Sweet and savory sauce that we’re trying to turn to another level with. Adding tomato paste to add a richer stronger savory taste, water to thin down the sauce, cream cheese to make it creamy and add back the thickness, the well beloved and important ingredient for the Jollibee spaghetti, the banana ketchup, brown sugar for the extra sweetness, and a Knorr beef cube to give it an extra beefy umami flavor. These are then simmered for some time to keep the flavors blended well. Poured over the noodles and topped with cheese to décor and add more cheese. Because everyone loves cheese!
Get ready to surprise kids and adults alike with this wonderfully beloved Filipino styled Spaghetti dish.
Jollibee SpaghettiCourse: MainCuisine: Filipino
A sweet and meaty version of your usual spaghetti
- For the Pasta
water for boiling
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon oil
500g spaghetti sauce
- For the Sauce
1 teaspoon oil
3 – 4 pieces hotdog (sliced)
1 medium onion (chopped)
1 medium bell pepper (chopped)
4 – 5 tablespoons garlic (chopped)
250g ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
500g Filipino Style Spaghetti Sauce
1/3 cup tomato paste
2 cups water
½ cup cream cheese
2/3 cup brown sugar
½ cup banana ketchup
1 piece Knorr beef cube
shredded cheese for topping
- To cook the Pasta
- Prepare a pot of water for boiling, mix in salt and oil.
- Once it comes to a boil, add the spaghetti noodles. Cook according to packaging or till al dente.
- Strain and set aside.
- To make the Sauce
- In a pan at medium heat, add oil and cook the hotdogs for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- In the same pan, cook the onions till slightly browned, add garlic and cook till aromatic, add the bell pepper and cook till soft.
- Add in the ground beef , crush these down and sprinkle salt and pepper, and cook till it changes in color.
- Mix in the hotdogs, spaghetti sauce, and tomato sauce. Pour water and mix well, let this simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place in the cream cheese, brown sugar, banana ketchup. Mix till the sugar dissolves. Add the Knorr beef cube and mix well. Simmer for 7 – 10 minutes. mix often to avoid burning the bottom.
- Taste and add salt if needed.
- Take it off the heat and serve the sauce over the noodles. Top with shredded cheese.
Make your afternoons more colorfully bright and festive with this Jollibee Spaghetti dish! A Filipino style version of the usual red-sauced spaghetti with a sweeter and almost child like taste. Make it with hot dogs, and ground beef, or go for another route like using pork or sausages. What’s great about this dish is that you can also make this without the need of meats and just make it with the sauce. a very temptingly delicious dish that will take you back to your childhood.
Jollibee Spaghetti recipe (tagalog)
Para sa Pasta
- Tubig pang kulo
- 1 kutsarang asin
- 1 kutsarang mantika
- 500g spaghetti sauce
Para sa Sauce
- 1 kutsarang mantika
- 3 – 4 piraso hotdog (hinati ng maninipis)
- 1 katamtamang laking sibuyas (tadtad)
- 1 katamtamang laking bell pepper (tadtad)
- 4 – 5 kutsarang bawang (tinadtad)
- 250g giniling na baka
- 1 kutsaritang asin
- 1 kutsaritang paminta
- 500g Filipino Style Spaghetti Sauce
- 1/3 tasa tomato paste
- 2 tasa tubig
- ½ tasa cream cheese
- 2/3 tasa kayumangging asukal
- ½ tasa banana ketchup
- 1 piraso Knorr beef cube
- ginutay-gutay na keso pang dekorasyon
Para sa Pasta
- Maghanda ng palayok na may tubig pang kulo. Haluan ng asin at mantika.
- Pagkumulo, ilagay ang spaghetti noodles. Lutuin depende sa pakete o hanggang al dente.
- Salain at itabi.
Para sa Sauce
- Sa kawali na may katamtamang init, lutuin ang hotdogs kasama ang mantika ng 3 – 4 minuto. Tanggalin ito sa kawali at itabi.
- Sa parehong kawali, lutuin ang sibuyas hanggang mag kayumanggi, isama ang bawang at lutuin hanggang bumango, at bell pepper hanggang lumambot.
- Isama ang giniling nab aka, icrush itoat wisikan ng asin at paminta, lutuin hanggang magiba ng kulay.
- Haluin ang hotdogs, spaghetti sauce, at tomato sauce. ibuhos ng tubig at haluin ng mabuti. Ipakulo ng 5 minuto.
- Isama ang cream cheese, brown sugar, at banana ketchup. haluin hanggang matunaw ang asukal. Idagdag ang Knorr beef cube at ihalo. Ipakulo gn 7 – 10 minuto, haluin ng paminsan minsan para di masunog ang ibaba.
- Tikman at lagyan asin kung kinakailangan.
- Tanggalin ang init at ihanda sa itaas ng spaghetti noodles. Dekorasyunan ng keso.