This Homemade Pizza is a simple recipe that will show you how to make piza in home in a breeze. The pizza toping is made with bread flour, milk, yeast, sugar, garlic powder, salt and olive oil. This pizza toppings consists of parmesan, garlic powder, tomato sauce, mozzaretta, pepperoni and mushroom. This pizza recipe will be a breeze to make and avoid overloading the pizza with toppings.
A small slice of Pizza History
Though we usually associate Pizza with Naples, Italy. Pizza from centuries ago was actually from Greece. The word ‘Pizza’ is derived from the Greek word ‘Pektos’ meaning clotted or solid. And thus begun the start of the creation of the ever evolving pizza. An early account of the Pizza appeared in Virgil’s ‘Aeneid’’ where they ate thin wheaten cakes used as plates itself. Flatbreads with toppings were a common pastry eaten by ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Romans. It was in Italy, Naples where it was common for people in need to add tomatoes in their yeast based flat bread. Seen as an Independent kingdom known for their poor working class, much of the living was done outdoors, the Neapolitans needed to find inexpensive food that could be eaten quickly. Street vendors sold flatbreads with about any toppings like tomatoes, anchovies, garlic, cheese and oil, which was a better option for many who worked and needed cheap sustenance. The early days of pizza were consumed by the poor and were seen as ‘disgusting’ by more wealthy Italians.
1861, Italy unified, Naples were visited by King Umberto I and Queen Margherita in 1889. The pair who was bored by their diet of French haute cuisine and asked for pizzas from the Pizzeria Brandi a pizza place from it’s successor to Da Pietro pizzeria founded in 1760. The queen enjoyed the pizza mozzarella, which was a pizza topped with soft white cheese, green basil and red tomatoes that closely resembled the Italian flag. From then on that certain combination was dubbed the ‘Margherita’. This blessed the beginning of the Italian wide pizza craze; it was in 1940’s that pizza became better known outside Naples’s boarders. This begun the start of Pizza’s landing in American lands, immigrants from Naples came to the United States, while they didn’t seeking to change the culinary world, but the flavors and aromas begun to entice the general public, from non-Italians to non- Neapolitans.
Today, the Pizza is seen as one of the world’s favorite fast food. Found at home, frozen at groceries, freshly baked at restaurants and bakeries. An estimate of 3 billion of these delicious dishes is sold in the United States alone.
Preparing homemade pizza for the weekend?
To make great homemade pizza, one does not need an oven. Albeit this makes it easier, the pan-baked pizza gives you that beautiful browned almost grilled like distinct pizza bottom that not all oven made pizzas just don’t produce. The dough made of bread flour, yeast, sugar, salt and milk to give it a subtle sweetness. Risen for 1 to 2 hours or overnight. Cut to parts for each family member or friends to personalize and avoid sharing! Roll or tug these into an imperfect circle and rise again for a few minutes to give it a fluffy but still dense base.
Top with olive oil, garlic powder, parmesan, tomato sauce, overloaded with your choice of cheeses, meats like pepperoni or hotdogs, and topped with mushrooms, bell peppers and other precooked veggies. Baked in a preheated oven and broiled till the cheese has fully melted and browned. Or if pan baked, heat the pizza uncovered till the bottom turns into a nicely brown almost charred marbling pattern, removed from the stove and covered to melt the topped cheese.
Have a fun weekend with a slice of heavenly cheesy goodness!
Homemade PizzaCourse: SnacksCuisine: Italian
Homemade cheesy delicious goodness 2 ways
1 cup warm milk
1 teaspoon yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
2 cups bread flour (plus more for dusting)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 cup olive oil
mozzarella (or any type of cheese)
pepperoni (or any choice of cooked meat)
mushrooms (or any cooked vegetable)
- For the dough
- In a small bowl, mix together ½ cup warm milk, yeast, and white sugar. Let this rest for 10 minutes till it turns bubbly.
- In another bigger bowl, add bread flour, garlic powder and salt. Mix well and pour in olive oil and the yeast mixture. Mix well. Add ½ cup warm milk and mix till you form a shaggy dough.
- Knead, adding more flour as needed. Once the dough is a bit smooth but still sticky, and it bounces back when poked. Place it in an oil greased bowl, cover for 1 to 2 hours or till it doubles in size.
- Take the dough out and knead to release air, roll the dough into a log and cut to 3 or 4 parts.
- To oven bake
- Roll one part of the dough to a thin ‘circle’. Prepare a pan dusted with flour. Place the rolled dough, cover and let this rest for 35 to 45 minutes, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with parmesan and garlic powder, cover with tomato sauce, top with mozzarella and garnish with basil.
- Add this to a preheated oven at 220°C or 425°F for 7 to 10 minutes. And broil for another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Place on a rack to cool before serving.
- To pan bake:
- Prepare a nonstick pan. Grease this with olive oil, dust with garlic powder.
- Place 1 part of the dough, tugging this to the corners. Let this rest for 35 to 35 minutes uncovered. Brush with olive oil, sprinkle with parmesan, garlic powder, spread tomato sauce and top with your choice of cheeses, top with precooked meat and vegetables.
- Place the pan on a stove on medium high heat for 7 to 8 minutes or till the bottom of the dough browns or looks almost burnt for more flavor.
- Cover and take this out of the heat to melt the cheese. Once the cheese has melted take this off and cool on a rack.
- Try using a torch if you like the cheese to be a bit more melted when using the pan. Torching also gives you that extra charred flavor.
- Use strong all purpose flour if bread flour is not available.
- If you’d like to rise the flour overnight. Make sure to keep this in the fridge in an airtight container.
Homemade Pizza Recipe (Tagalog)
- 1 tasa mainit init na gatas
- 1 kutsaritang pampaalsa
- 1 kutsaritang puting asukal
- 2 tasa harina pang tinapay (dagdagan para sa pagmamasa)
- 1 kutsaritang bawang powder
- 1 kutsaritang asin
- 1/8 tasa olive oil
Mga sahog pang ibabaw (opsyonal)
- Bawang Powder
- Tomato Sauce
- Mozzarella (o kahit anong keso)
- Pepperoni (o kahit anong klaseng luto na karne)
- Mushrooms (o kahit anong klaseng luto na karne)
Para sa Masa:
- Sa maliit na mangkok, haluin ang ½ tasa ng gatas, pampaalsa, at putting asukal. Ipahinga ng 10 minuto o hangang bumula ito.
- Sa isa pang malaking mangkok, ilagay ang harina na pang tinapay, bawang powder, at asin. Haliun at idagdag ang olive oil, at na bula na pampaalsa. Haluin hangang muka na itong masa.
- Masahin, magdagdag ng harina kung kailangan. Pag malapit na ito maging makinis pero malagkit pa konti, at ito’y bumabalik sa anyo. Ilagay ito sa mangkok na pinunasan ng mantika, takpan ng 1 o 2 oras o hanggang dumoble ng laki.
- Tanggalin ang masa sa mangkok at imasa para matanggal ang hangin, igulong hanggang magmukang torso at hatiin ng 3 o 4 na piraso.
Para sa oven bake:
- Igulong anf masa hanggang makabuo ng ‘bilog’. Maghanda ng bandeha na pinunasan ng harina. Ilagay ang nabilog na masa, takpan at ipahinga ito ng 35 o 45 na minute, ipahid ng olive oil, lagyan ng parmesan at bawang powder, takpan ng tomato sauce, lagyan sa ibabaw ng mozzarella, at palamutihan ng basil.
- Ilagay to sa preheated oven ng 220°C or 425°F ng 7 o 10 na minuto. I-broil ito ng 5 o 7 pa na minuto.
- Ilagay sa rack para palamigin bago i-serve.
Para sa pan bake:
- Maghanda ng nonstick na kawali. Ipahid ng oilive oil at garlic powder.
- I lagay ang 1 bahagi ng masa, I hatak ito sa mga sulok ng kawali. Ipahinga ito na hindi nakatakip ng 35 o 45 na minute. Ipahid ng oilive oil, wisikan ng parmesan, bawang powder, ikalat ng tomato sauce at langyan ng paborito mong keso, lutong karne, at mga luto na gulay.
- Ilugar ang kawali sa kalan na may init na may katamtaman na mataas ng 7 o 8 na minute o hangang kayumanggi o malapit na sa pasunogsunog ang baba nito.
- Takpan at itanggal sa kalan. Itangal ang takip kung natunaw na ang keso. Palamigin sa rack.