Egg afritada is a budget friendly version of meat afritada like chicken afritada etc etc. You can still enjoy your favorite afritada with the egg afritada recipe. A tomato-based dish filled with egg and veggies. This budget-friendly and meatless afritada is quick and can be prepared in minutes!
Eggs are one of a Pinoy’s food staple. A kitchen is not a kitchen without an egg tray in it. The range on how to cook eggs are almost limitless. One of my favorites is the simple hard-boiled eggs. Just sprinkle some salt and pepper in it and it’s already a great snack.
Aside from eating the eggs as it is, eggs also work well as meat substitutes. Eggs can be the main protein source and is partnered with different curries and sauces. Of the best and known tomato-based dish in the Philippines is the afritada.
I prepare egg afritada when my pantry is almost empty and I have only a few ingredients left. Afritada only requires eggs and tomato sauce, and a short list of veggies such as carrots, potatoes and bell peppers. During your tipid days preparing egg afritada will save both of your wallets and tummy.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN BOILING EGGS
Since boiled eggs will serve as the main meat in this dish, let’s have a quick review on boiling eggs. There are different modes on how to boil eggs (example: instant pot, bake, steam, sous vide). In this article, we will focus on pot boiling.
Boiling eggs is very easy and yet complicated for some. This has something to do with the time spent on boiling eggs. The eggs will be cooked differently depending on how long you cook them.
Note: Time only starts when the water starts to boil and not when you turn the fire on.
- 2 minutes: The egg is super soft and seems uncooked. The egg will burst when cracked.
- 4 minutes: Jammy eggs. The whites starts to harden but the yolk is still liquid. Usually served in ramen noodles.
- 6 – 7 minutes: Soft boiled eggs. Both the yolks and whites start to harden and are very soft.
- 8 – 10 minutes: Medium boiled eggs. Both the yolks and whites are fully cooked.
- 14 – 15 minutes: Hard boiled eggs. Both the eggs and yolks are firm.
More than 15 minutes of cooking may cause too much drying of the egg yolks. If overcooked, you’ll see a greenish ring between the yolks and egg whites.
After cooking, it is recommended to transfer the boiled eggs into an ice bath or cold water to stop the cooking process.
HOW TO MAKE EGG AFRITADA
Making egg afritada is a dash when compared with the regular pork afritada. Eggs boil much faster than softening the meat.
Boiled eggs in egg afritada is flexible, though hard-boiled eggs are much recommended. When your eggs are done, time to make the sauce.
Stir fry the veggies separately and then set them aside. Saute your aromatics until fragrant and then add the tomato sauce. You may add different seasonings. In this recipe, I used chicken broth cube. Do a taste test and adjust the sauce. Usually I add some sugar if the sauce is too sour just to balance it.
Add the veggies and the eggs and toss gently until everything is well coated with the sauce. Transfer the egg afritada to a serving plate and enjoy with a lot of hot steaming rice!
Egg AfritadaCourse: Easy Meals, Filipino Recipes
6 pieces eggs
2 medium potatoes (cut into chunks)
1 small carrot (cut into chunks)
1 small bell pepper
3/4 cup tomato sauce
1/2 chicken broth cube
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup water (adjust as needed)
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Arrange the eggs in a pot. Pour enough water to cover the eggs. Let them boil for 8 to 10 minutes. After boiling, peel the eggs and then set them aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Stir-fry the potatoes and carrots until light brown. Set aside. Put the bell peppers in the pan and saute for a few minutes. Set aside.
- Saute the onions and garlic for a few minutes until fragrant and light brown. Add the tomato sauce and stir gently. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Add around a cup of water and the half of a chicken broth cube. Stir gently to dissolve the cube. Let it simmer for a few minutes. Do a taste test and add sugar if needed.
- Add the potatoes and carrots. Cover the pan and let it cook for a few minutes using medium heat until the veggies are tender.
- When the potatoes and carrots are fork-tender, add the peeled boiled eggs and bell peppers. Cook for a few more minutes until the eggs are fully coated with the sauce.
- Transfer the egg afritada to a serving plate and serve with hot steaming rice. Enjoy!
Egg Afritada Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 6 piraso ng itlog
- 2 patatas (hiwain ng chunks)
- 1 maliit na carrott (hiwain ng chunks)
- 1 maliit na bell pepper
- 3/4 tasa ng tomato sauce
- 1/2 chicken broth cube
- asin at paminta
- 1 tasa ng tubig (pwedeng dagdagan)
- 1 kutsarita ng asukal (optional)
- Iayos ang mga itlog sa kaserola. Maglagay ng tubig hanggang matakpan ang mga itlog. Hayaang kumulo ang mga ito ng 8 – 10 minuto. Kapag luto na, balatan at isantabi.
- Magpainit ng mantika. Istir-fry ang patatas at carrots hanggang maging light brown. Isantabi. Igisa ang bell peppers ng ilang minuto at isantabi.
- Igisa ang sibuyas at bawang ng ilang minuto hanggang maging light brown. Ilagay ang tomato sauce at haluin ng dahan-dahan. Budburan ng asin at paminta.
- Maglagay ng 1 tasa ng tubig. Sunod na ilagay ang kalahati ng chicken broth cube at tunawin. Hayaan itong maluto ng ilang minuto. Tikman at lagyan ng asukal kung kailangan.
- Ilagay ang patatas at carrots. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto gamit ang katamtamang apoy hanggang lumambot ang mga veggies.
- Kapag malambot na ang patatas at carrots, ilagay ang mga itlog at bell peppers. Lutuin pa ito ng konti hanggang malagyan ng sauce ang mga itlog.
- Ilipat ang egg afritada sa serving plate at ihain kasama ng mainit na kanin. Enjoy!