Baked Pompano is made by baking fresh pompano after wrapping it in banana leaf along with onion, tomato, garlic, ginger and salted egg and stuffing inside with pieces of tomato, onion, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper. Pompano (pomfret) is also seasoned with salt and pepper before baking. Baked Pompano is one of the tastiest baked fish we can have. This yummy kitchen baked pompano recipe will show you how to cook baked Pompano fish very easy and simple way. If you ever wonder how to make a baked fish look and taste extravagant? this baked pompano will show you the way.
WHAT IS A POMPANO?
Pompano or pomfret is a type of fish you usually see at the market. The gourmands, or people who eat often and kind of rate different foods, describes this fish as the “most edible fish”. That comment might be attributed to its large size, making it easier to consume than other fish. Pompano is a type of salt water fish but is now farmed for human consumption.
Just like any other fish, pompano is one of the favorite type of fishes for gourmet recipes. It can be cooked as fried, pinangat, steamed, baked in ginger sauce, grilled and even in sweet and sour sauce. This fish is very versatile and makes a good protein source to a lot of recipes.
Ever since the pandemic restriction lightens, I then return to trying different fast foods and restaurants for future reference. I think I had been eating non-stop fast foods and oily foods for the past week. I made a pledge to eat no-oil recipes for this week and the baked pompano is the first thing I had thought of.
Baked pompano is one of the best baked dishes for me. It is a hassle free dish since there are very minimal and simple steps needed. Since I am also the one to eat this, I gathered some banana leaves outside to make it extra special. One thing I learned in life is that when you will be cooking for yourself, serve yourself extra special!
If you wanna get rid of the oils and wanna make some baked pompano, read and follow the simple recipes below. Happy cooking!
You may like
HOW TO MAKE BAKED POMPANO
Baking has never been easier with this baked pompano recipe. When all is done, simply let the oven do its magic.
Instead of simply putting the fish in the oven, of course we want it extra tasty. To do that , lets start by making the aromatic filling. Aromatic fillings are very useful for simple baked dishes like this one, more especially when you will be dealing with a fish. The usual aromatics used are tomatoes, red onions, ginger and garlic, which we will be using in this recipe. If you want to add more aromatic ingredients or use some herbs and spices, feel free to do so. Don’t forget to season this with some salt and pepper.
Get the freshest pompano fish from the market. These fish are of large variety and you can surely spot one right away. Prepare the pompano fish by cleaning and removing the guts and gills. You can skip this step if you ask the fish vendor to do this for you.
To make the fish cook faster and to absorb more of the flavors, make around 2 to 3 slits on its body on both sides. In this recipe, I rubbed sinigang mix powder aside from the usual salt and pepper to make the crust of the fish extra tastier. Stuff the fish using the aromatic filling prepared earlier until it is almost bursting. We do this so that the juice from the aromatics will surely be absorb by the pompano as it cooks.
Aside from preparing an the minced aromatic filling, we also need to prepare simply sliced aromatics, still the same aromatics for the filling.
Instead of placing the fish directly to the baking tray, we wrap our pompano first in banana leaves. The banana leaves also adds extra aroma to the fish when cooked. First, make a bed using the sliced aromatics. In this recipe, I added some sliced salted egg for a fancier look and of course, extra flavor.
Finally, wrap our fish in aluminum foil just to make sure that the fish will cook evenly. Bake the fish until its well cooked and easy to flake.
I like my baked pompano fish with a lot of hot steaming rice. Make sure to add some aromatic filling as you serve them to your plate. Yum!
Baked PompanoCourse: Fish Recipes
2 pieces pompano (cleaned and gutted)
6 tomatoes (sliced and minced)
2 red onions (slinced and minced)
3 cloves of garlic (sliced and minced)
1 thumb of ginger (sliced and minced)
1 salted egg (sliced)
Sinigang powder to taste
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the minced tomatoes, minced onions, minced ginger and minced garlic. Season with some salt and pepper. Mix gently until well combined.
- Wash and prepare the pompano fish. Make some slits on the body of the fish. Rub the body with salt, pepper, and sinigang mix powder. Do this also to the other side.
- Stuff the stomach and the area under the head with the minced aromatic mixture. Set aside.
- Prepare the banana leaves and brush it with some olive oil. Arrange the aromatics and make a bed using sliced onions, tomatoes, garlic and ginger. Place the fish above the aromatics. Add some sliced tomatoes and salted egg on top of the fish. Cover and wrap the pompano fish using banana leaves.
- Bake this wrapped pompano, in a baking tray covered with aluminium foil 40 to 45 minutes, until the meat become tender
- Remove the foil and unwrap the pompano. Serve this together with a big bowl of hot steaming rice. Yum!
Baked Pompano Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 2 piraso ng pompano (nalinis na at natanggalan ng lamang loob)
- 6 kamatois (may hiniwa at may hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 2 sibuyas na pula (may hiniwa at may hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 3 butil ng bawang (may hiniwa at may hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 luya (may hiniwa at may hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 itlog na maalat (hiniwa)
- Sinigang powder
- Paghaluin ang mga kamatis, sibuyas, luya at bawang na hiniwa ng maliliit sa isang bowl. Timplahan ito ng asin at paminta. Haluin ng mabuti.
- Linisin at ihanda ang pompano. Lagyan ng hiwa ang katawan nito. Budburan ito ng asin, paminta at sinigang powder. Gawin ang mga steps na ito sa kabilang side ng isda.
- Punuin ng ginawang filling ang tiyan at ulo ng pompano. Isantabi.
- Ihanda ang mga dahon ng saging. Ibrush ang mga ito ng olive oil. Iayos ang mga sibuyas, kamatis, bawang at luya saka ipatong sa ibabaw ang pompano. Lagyan ng kamatis at hiniwang itlog na maalat ang ibabaw ng isda. Ibalot ang isda sa dahon ng saging.
- Ilipat ang binalot na pompano sa isang baking tray saka balutin ng aluminum foil. I-bake ang pompano ng 45 minuto o hanggang madali na itong I-flakes.
- Alisin ang foil at ang dahon ng saging. Ihain ang baked pompano kasama ng bagong saing na kanin. Yum!