This One pan Egg Sandwich recipe is an easy low effort but tasty meal you can do with just one pan, and a few eggs mixed in some spices, pieces of bread toasted and served with some sauces and chips on the side.
Egg sandwiches History
There’s nothing like a great filling breakfast to start your day. But there are also days when you wake up and have lazy mornings but still want a nice warm breakfast you can whip up in a jiff.
The idea of the sandwich; a pastry filled with cheese, vegetables or meats, dressed with condiments like ketchup or may have been enjoyed for centuries. The earliest record came from Britain by Jon Montagu, the fourth Earl od Sandwich who asked to be served supper without needing to leave the gambling table. There were already ‘forms’ of the sandwich from pita breads and canapés by the Greeks and other Mediterranean countries using their own for of bread. But the dish made its way by using two white bread filled with meat and toasted, presented to the Earl and was then popularized because of its convenience. The idea of the sandwich slowly seeped in to America, which was then named sandwiches in the late 1830.
The Egg sandwich came to be due to the handling of meat rations during World War II, a food establishment the White Castle introduced the idea of the fried egg to be filled instead of the usual ham which turned unpopular for some time till the rationing was lifted. The egg and bread dish was then again welcomed in the 1970’s by McDonalds in their Egg McMuffin and had been in the breakfast menu till today.
Why try this One pan Egg Sandwich recipe?
Breakfast can be tiring especially in the early hours of the morning when you don’t really have time and energy. This recipe is a quick fix to that problem.
The egg sandwich is a relatively easy bread combo to do. This recipe requires minimal effort and just a few minutes in the oven that it won’t break your daily routine. The eggs are mixed in a pan greased with butter, mixed with spices like paprika, garlic powder, cumin and any more of your choice, topped with ham, cheese and white bread buttered on top to give it a nice hue after it’s ‘baked’. Served on a platter with some siracha for spice or mayo and ketchup for a hint of sweet and salty flavor, or add chips of the side and make it an afternoon lunch combo.
An easy fix to your mornings!
One Pan Egg SandwichCourse: Easy Meals, Snacks
Make a delectable cheesy and egg sandwich
4 large eggs
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oregano
½ tablespoon cumin
½ tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
½ cup ham (chopped)
Shredded or sliced cheese
4 pieces of white bread
Butter for greasing
- Prepare a pan and grease this with butter.
- Mix in eggs and whisk well. Add in salt, oregano, cumin, paprika, and garlic powder. Then add the ham, spread this evenly, top with cheese and white bread. You can also brush the top of the bread with butter.
- Bake in a 180°C or 350°F preheated oven for 7 minutes or till the top browns.
- Take it out of the oven to eat or make into a sandwich. Side it with some sauces like Siracha, mayo or ketchup or partner it with some chips.
- You can also replace the ham with other pre-cooked meat like spam, hotdogs or sausages.
- Add or remove spices to make a different sandwich every time.
- For small to medium eggs, use a smaller baking tray or pan to make the eggs thicker when cooked.
- Don’t worry if the top does not brown, you can broil it in the oven or eat it as is once the egg doesn’t look runny.
Egg Sandwich Recipe (tagalog):
- 4 na malaking itlog
- ¼ kutsaritang asin
- 1 kutsarang oregano
- ½ kutsarang cumin
- ½ kutsarang paprika
- 1 kutsarang garlic powder
- ½ tasa ng ham (tinadtad)
- ginutay-gutay o hiniwa na keso
- 4 na piraso na puting tinapay
- mantikilya pang grasa
- Maghanda ng kawali at igrasa ng mantikilya.
- Haluin ang mga itlog sa sa kawali, idagdag ng asin, oregano, cumin, paprika, at garlic powder. Idagdag ng ham at ikalat para mapantay, lagyan ng keso sa ibabaw at patungan ito ng puting tinapay. Igrasa ng mantikilya ang itaas ng tinapay.
- Lutuin ito sa 180°C o 350°F na oben ng 7 na minute o hanggang mag kaumanggi ang kulay nito.
- Tangalin sa oben para kainin o gawing sandwich. Pwede din itong lagyan ng Siracha, mayo o ketchup, o tabihan ng mga chichirya.