Cassava Suman or sumang kamoteng kahoy (sumang balinghoy) is one of the very first recipes that I’ve learn when I was young. I used to help my mom making this dish and sell them in my neighborhood. Seeing that I was able to make some income out of it, I asked my mom to teach me how to make it.
Since we have to many kamoteng kahoy before (since we were living in a farm and my dad farm lots of it) we were able to cook different recipes out of it. We cook cassava in different ways to serve as our meal (especially when we have don’t have rice or ulam) Cassava Suman is a very yummy and fulfilling snack to have. Today, I’m gonna share with you the easiest and simplest version of Cassava Suman.
Cassava SumanCourse: Filipino Recipes, Snacks
2 cup grated fresh cassava
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup shredded young coconut
1/4 cup melted butter (or margarine or coconut milk)
Banana leaves for wrapping
- Squeeze some of the juice of grated cassava. You can use sieve or cheese cloth when squeezing.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the grated cassava, brown sugar, young coconut and melted butter. Mix until well-blended. Ready to wrap.
- Pass the banana leaf thru flame to wilt and be pliable. Cut the edges to make uniform wrap.
- Put some cassava mixture on the banana leaves. Form it into a small log. Then, roll the banana leaf, wrapping the mixture inside. Make sure that it is fully wrapped and no hole.
- Put two wrapped cassava and tie using kitchen twig or wilted banana leaf.
- Arrange in a steamer. Steam for 30 to 45 minutes. (Make sure that the water in the steamer is already boiling). After 45 minutes, you can check one piece of the cassava if cooked before removing the rest.
Watch Cassava Suman Recipe
- Depende kung gaano kaligat (chewy / kunat) ang gusto ninyo sa suman, pigaan lamang ito para maalis ang katas. Kung gusto ninyo ng makunat or maligat na suman, pigaan mabuti. Kung hindi naman, kaunting piga lamang para lang maalis yung labis ng katas ng grated cassava.
- Pwedeng magdagdag ng coconut milk sa recipe na ito. Kung walang butter, pwede ang margarine. Nakakadagdag ito ng linamnam sa suman.
- Kung walang steamer, pwede rin itong ilaga. Just make sure na nakataling mabuti ang kamoteng kahoy bago isalang at lagyan ng tubig para hindi bumuka habang naglalaga. boil for around 30 to 45 minutes depende kung gaano kalaki ang suman na nagawa ninyo.
- I-adjust ang sugar depende sa tamis na gusto ninyo. Kung walang buko, pwedeng skip na ito.
cassava suman is one of the popular recipe in the Philippines .If you are looking for how to make suman cassava the we think this recipe and procedure will help you. please enjoy suman kamoteng kahoy and othe deleisious filippino dishes