Just use Eggs and Rice to make a fluffy cake! A delicious and healthy chocolaty snack can be make by just using softened uncooked rice, egg, powdered flavoring, sugar, and baking powder, blended and baked in a few minutes, to be cooled and decorated with frosting and powdered cocoa. Try out this Cake using Rice and Eggs!
How to make Cake using Rice and Eggs?
Rice has always been a staple item in every Asian household. Its versatility to become a different dishes like fried rice, sushi, arroz caldo, to drinks like horchata, rice milk, beer, even to desserts like most Filipino kakanin; for example the puto, sapin sapin, and biko to name a few. Rice be paired with any known dish, this shows how compatible it is with almost anything!
Although rice flour is a common ingredient found in most Asian markets, all purpose flour and cake flour are commonly used to make bread. Rice flour is made from finely milled rice from white or brown rice with the husk of the rice removed. In most cuisines, rice flour is used to create rice cakes, macaroons, buns, mocha and most Asian desserts or savory dishes.
For the Philippines, Rice has been a staple crop, so much so that the Philippines is known as the world’s biggest rice importer, with Central Luzon being the biggest rice producing area. There are a thousand types of rice, the medium grain white rice being one of the most common are semi-sticky when cooked. The Cake using Rice and Eggs recipe involves whole white rice rather than rice flour, as this is easily available. In the recipe, bathing this with water for 2 hours softens the rice, this makes the rice softer and prevents the batter from having any dry chunks when blended. With the addition of baking powder to raise the cake, and sugar for sweetness, you can customize this cake by adding your choice of flavoring like cocoa, matcha, tea powder, or even corn.
Make a delicious Cake using Rice & Eggs with ingredients available at home!
Chocolate Cake using Rice & EggsCourse: Cake Recipes, Desserts
A sweet alternative to your usual chocolate cake
1 & ½ cup White rice (uncooked)
2 large eggs
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa or any powdered flavoring
1 tablespoon baking powder
Unsalted butter for greasing
- Optional chocolate frosting:
1 cup milk or dark chocolate
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Soak the rice in water for 2 hours. Strain, add these and the eggs to a blender or mixer. Blend till it looks smooth.
- Add sugar and cocoa. Blend well. Add baking powder and blend.
- In a cake pan, grease this generously with butter. Pour the mixture and place this in a preheated oven at 350°F or 175°C for 20 to 25 minutes.
- To check if the cake is ready, poke the middle of the cake with a toothpick. This should come out clean or with dry bits. Flip with a rack and cool. Flip with a plate to keep the top above.
- Prepare a bowl of chocolate chunks. Add the butter. Melt in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds. Mix well this smooth. Leave this in the fridge to chill for 15 to 20 minutes. Use a whisk and whisk this till it turns light and fluffy.
- Place this on top of the cake. You can decorate this by piping it on top or covering the top with cocoa. Decorate any way you like.
- Chill and serve!
- When using a cake pan, using 5 or 6 inches can make a smaller but fatter looking cake. While 7 inches or above sized cake pans would made a bigger but flatter looking cake.
- Make sure to check the cake in the every 10 to 20 minutes to make sure the top has not burned. Place a foil above the cake if the middle is still watery but the top has already browned.
Chocolate Cake using Rice & Eggs (tagalog)
- 1 & ½ tasa bigas (di pa luto)
- tubig na may katamtamamng init
- 2 malaking itlog
- 1/4 tasa kayumangging asukal
- 2 t kutsarang cocoa o kahit anong panpalasa
- 1 kutsarang baking powder
- Mantikilya na walang asin pang grasa
Opsyonal tsokolate na frosting:
- 1 tasa milk o dark tsokolate
- 1 kutsarang mantikilya na walang asin
- Ibabad ang bigas sa tubig ng 2 oras. Salain at ilagay ito sa blender kasama ang mga itlog. Iblend hangang magmukang makinis ito.
- Ilagay ang asukal at cocoa. Iblend ng mabuti, dagdagan ng baking powder at iblend muli.
- Sa keyk na kawali, igrasa to ng madaming mantikilya. Ilagay ang mixture dito at lutuin sa oben na may 350°F or 175°C ng 20 o 25 na minuto.
- Para malaman na luto na ang keyk, sundutin ang gitna ng keyk gamit ang toothpick. Dapat lumabas ito ng malinis o may kaunting tuyo na laman. Baliktarin sa rack para palamigin. Baliktarin muli gamit ang plato.
- Maghanda ng mangkok na may tinadtad na tsokolate, dagdagan ng matikilya. Patunawin sa microwave ng 15 o 20 na segundo. Haluin hangang magmukang makinis. Iwanin sa ref at palamigin ng 15 o 20 na minuto. Gumamit ng whisk at batiin hangnang mag mukang frosting.
- Ilugar ito sa taas ng keyk. Pwede itong dekorasyonan gamit ang piping bag o pulbusan ng cocoa. Palamutian ng ayon sa iyong kagustuhan.
- Palamigin bago ihanda.