Chicken hamonado rolls are Filipino chicken rolls made of chicken, ham, hotdogs, cheese, pineapple juice, soy sauce, oyster sauce, onion, pepper, pineapple rings. Try this recipe now!
CHICKEN HAMONADO ROLLS
The hamonado dish came from the Spanish term “jamonado” which, by research, means “to be prepared like ham”. However it must be clear that the hamonado dish is different from the slab of ham commonly served during Christmas. But still, there are little similarities between the two dishes. Most of the store-bought smoked ham comes with a small pack of pineapple sauce. Meanwhile, a hamonado dish was known to be a general term for any meat which is marinated and braised with pineapple and soy sauce. Both dishes are wonderful Christmas dishes but the hamonado will be explored in this blog. we can cook chicken hamonado recipe very easily and deliciously.
Hamonado is usually served during Christmas and is commonly prepared using different pork cuts. But since the prices of pork continuously rises during the pandemic, you might wanna try to use other type of meat which has a relatively cheaper price. So instead of pork, we will use chicken as the main meat in this chicken hamonado rolls recipe. Aside from having lower fat content, the hamonado made into rolls gave it a more convenient way of eating. I’m sure you will eat slice after slice after slice! Chicken roll homemade are always enjoyed by our family and friends. Check out the recipe below!
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN HAMONADO ROLLS
If you have read our cordon bleu recipe, you might notice that the preparation of the chicken hamonado rolls is quite similar. Chicken bun rolls are the lovely perfect snack of crunchy chicken fillings. Start by cutting the chicken breast on the side and make it in a butterfly form. Pound the breast to make it thinner. The thinner breast, the better, since this will be used as the outermost layer of our roll. The next steps are just layering the fillings of the roll. Included in this recipe are the commonly used ingredient in a classic pork hamonado. After layering all the fillings, roll everything into a log.
Here’s a tip: Tie the rolls with a kitchen twine to help remain the fillings intact. You don’t wanna deal with a scattered one! Marinate the rolls in a mixture of pineapple juice, soy sauce and black pepper. The recommended marinating time is at least one hour. Since the sauce has pineapple juice, the longer you marinate the rolls, the tender the meat will be. But since we are using chicken, the tenderness of the meat is not really a problem.
After marinating, we can now fry the chicken hamonado rolls. Reserve the marinade and sear the rolls. It does not really need to be fully cooked. It will cook later with the sauce. After frying the hamonado rolls, we are now going to prepare the sauce. Saute some aromatics in a pan and add the reserved marinade. For an added umami flavour, you can oyster sauce and sugar to make it sweeter.
Add the seared chicken rolls and let the sauce do the cooking until the sauce is reduced. You can actually serve it already at this point. But if you want a more pineapple-y sauce, add some pineapple rings in the sauce and let it the sweet and sour flavour of the pineapple infuse in the sauce. Leave some sauce in the pan and fry the hamonado rolls with it. The sauce will caramelize and will give the rolls a nice coat of sweetness.
Before cutting the hamonado rolls, let it rest for at least 5 minutes to let the juices be intact. Slice the chicken hamonado rolls and serve it with hot steaming rice. Pure heaven! Chicken pan rolls are liked by adults and kids too much.
Chicken Hamonado RollsCourse: Chicken Recipes
1 kilo chicken breast (boneless)
6 ham slices
6 pieces of hotdog (regular)
2 cups pineapple juice (unsweetened)
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce (optional)
Salt and pepper
1 medium-sized onion (minced)
Oil for searing
Pineapple rings (optional)
- Cut the chicken breast into half to make it thinner. Lay the breast in a cling wrap and cover. Pound it to flatten. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay a slice of ham at the center of the pounded chicken breast. Next, add a piece of hotdog and some cheese strips. Roll the chicken breast with the fillings. Tie the breast roll using a kitchen twine to secure the rolls. Repeat these steps to the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large bowl, add the unsweetened pineapple juice, soy sauce and black pepper. Stir until fully-combined. Submerge the chicken rolls into the mixture and marinate for at least one hour.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Separate the chicken rolls from the marinade. Reserve the marinade. Sear the chicken rolls until all sides are cooked. Once the sides are browned, remove the rolls from the pan and transfer to a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- Add some oil in the same pan. Saute the onion and garlic until aromatic. Add the reserved marinade. Add some oyster sauce (optional). Lastly, add some sugar. Stir until well-combined.
- Once the sauce is boiling, add the seared chicken rolls. Cover the pan and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes under low-medium heat. Flip the rolls to the other side to cook evenly. Baste the rolls with the sauce to make the color even. Continue cooking until the sauce is reduced.
- Transfer the cooked chicken hamonado rolls to a separate container. (You can actually eat it during this point.)
- Add some pineapple rings in the sauce and cook for 1 to 2 minutes under low heat.
- Line the serving dish with the pineapple rings and pour some of the sauce.
- Add some sauce back to the pan and cook the chicken rolls for 1 to 2 minutes until the sauce caramelizes.
- Let the hamonado rolls rest for 5 minutes. Remove the kitchen twine and slice the rolls into serving pieces.
- Line the chicken hamonado slices on the serving dish. Serve with hot rice or eat it as it is. Enjoy!
Chicken Hamonado Rolls Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1 kilo chicken breast (walang buto)
- 6 hiwa ng ham
- 6 piraso ng hotdog (regular)
- Cheese (hiniwa ng strips)
- 2 tasang pineapple juice (unsweetened)
- 3 kutsarang toyo
- 1 kutsarang oyster sauce (optional)
- Asin at paminta
- 1 pirasong sibuyas (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- pineapple rings (optional)
- Hiwaan ang chicken breast sa gitna. Ipatong ang chicken breast sa cling wrap at balutin ito. Gumamit ng kitchen meat tenderizer/pounder para panipisin ang karne. Budburan ng asin at paminta.
- Maglagay ng isang slice ng ham sa gitna ng chicken breast. Sunod na ilagay ang isang buong hotdog at strips ng cheese. I-roll ang chicken breast gamit ng dahan-dahan para maging isang haba. Talian ng kitchen twine ang chicken rolls para manatili itong naka-roll. Gawin ang mga steps na ito sa iba pang ingredients.
- Sa isang malaking bowl, ilagay ang unsweetened pineapple juice, toyo at paminta. Haluin ito ng mabuti. Ilagay and mga chicken rolls sa marinade. Hayaan itong naka-babad ng at least isang oras.
- Mag-init ng mantika sa kawali. Ihiwalay ang chicken rolls sa marinade. Itabi ang marinade. I-sear ang mga chicken rolls hanggang maluto lahat ng sides nito. Kapag nagging brown na, alisin ang chicken rolls sa kawali at ilagay ito sa isang strainer o paper towel para tumulo ang mga sobrang mantika.
- Maglagay ng mantika sa kawali. Igisa ang sibuyas at bawang hanggang maging golden brown. Ilagay ang itinabing marinade. Maglagay ng oyster sauce (optional lamang ang step na ito). Ilagay ang asukal at haluin ang sauce ng mabuti.
- Kapag kumukulo na ang sauce, ilagay ang mga pinritong chicken rolls. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto ng 3 hanggang 5 minuto gamit ang mababang katamtamang apoy. Baliktarin ang mga chicken rolls para maluto ang kabilang side nito. I-baste ang rolls gamit ang sauce. Iluto ito hanggang lumapot ang sauce.
- Ilipat ang mga chicken hamonado rolls sa isang lalagyan. (Pwede nang kainin ang chicken rolls sa oras na ito.).
- Painitin ang sauce at maglagay ng pineapple rings. Hayaan itong maluto ng 1 hanggang 2 minuto gamit ang mababang apoy.
- Ilagay ang mga pineapple rings at sauce sa isang lalagyan.
- Maglagay ng kaunting sauce sa kawali at iprito dito ang mga chicken rolls hanggang mag-caramelize ang sauce at dumikit sa rolls.
- Hayaan muna sa lalagyan ang hamonado rolls ng limang minute bago hatiin. Alisin ang kitchen twine at hatiin sa maliliit na piraso.
- Ilagay ang hiniwang chicken hamonado sa ibabaw ng pineapple rings. Samahan ng mainit na kanin. Enjoy!