Tortang Repolyo, or Cabbage Omelette is a budget-friendly and yummy cabbage dish. It is a very good recipe if you want a quick and easy meal. What’s more is that it is packed with healthy goodness from the cabbage.
Tortang Repolyo: Budget Friendly Recipe
During the quarantine period, I thought of making some recipes that can give people some ideas what to prepare on a tight budget. I experimented in the kitchen and thought of how to cook the ingredients that are already available in my fridge. That’s how I came up with tortang repolyo.
How to Make Tortang Repolyo
As the name suggest, tortang repolyo or cabbage omelette is cooked by frying. The recipe starts with shredding or chopping the cabbage into thin strips. Cabbage can either be chopped in small pieces or shred into tiny strips. I chose strips cos I want to keep it crunchy and visible when I cooked it as omelette instead of being fully coated with eggs.
One of the key ingredients in cooking cabbage omelette is the eggs. You can add more eggs in this recipe depending on how much yield you want. I added some all-purpose flour as binding ingredient but this is totally optional.
To make the cabbage omelette tasty and savory, dissolved chicken broth cube was added, but this is optional too. For healthier option, just add chicken or vegetable broth.
Cabbage Omelette (Tortang Repolyo)Course: VegetableCuisine: Appetizer
250 grams (1/4 kilo) Repolyo
2 large eggs
3 tablespoon all purpose flour
¼ chicken broth cube (optional)
Salt & pepper to taste
Oil for frying
- Chop the cabbage into thin strips. After chopping, wash and drain well.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cabbage strips, eggs and all-purpose flour. Dissolve the chicken broth cube in ½ tablespoon hot water. Add the broth mixture to the cabbage. Mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a little bit of oil in pan. Scoop some cabbage mixture. Fry in low heat until light brown. Cover the pan while cooking.
- After a few minutes, flip the cabbage omelet to cook the other side. Cover again.
- When both sides are cooked, remove from heat. Fry the rest of the mixture.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Watch how to cook Cabbage Omelette
- Make this even tastier by adding some chopped onions and garlic. You may also add additional seasoning like garlic powder.
- You can also put some meat on it. Just sauté’ some ground meat, be it chicken or pork. Then, add to the cabbage mixture.
- You can use any dipping sauce you want. I used ketchup in this recipe and they taste so good! My kids love it.
- If you want to make more cabbage omelet, just double the ingredients.
- If you don’t have chicken broth cube, you can use chicken or vegetable broth instead. It is optional anyway.
This cabbage egg omelet recipe will guide you to make cabbage omelet with step by step instructions and procedure. This cabbage omelet recipe is simple and very tasty. You can try this and enjoy